Session abandon doesnot work

Rattlesnake

Freshman
Hi,
I have developed an ASP.Net (1.1) application. It uses Windows Authentication.
I have a database that contains a USERS table that list all the users that have access to the application.

In the Session_Start sub I read the Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER") variable and check the USER table for this username. If the username doesnot exist in the USERS table i redirect him to a webform (UserError.aspx) that displays a message that he doesnot have access to the system. In the page Load of this form I call Session.Clear() and Session.Abandon().

This seems to work fine , but with one glitch. If the user access the application for. e.g. http://server1/App1/Default.aspx
It takes him to the UserError.aspx page. If he refreshes the page once it again takes him to UserError.aspx. But if he refreshes the page a second time , it takes him to the Default.aspx page. I have noticed that on the 2nd refresh the Session.Clear and Session.Abandon are not run.

Any ideas why???

Is there a better way of restricting access to the application. I don't want to use forms authentication.

Thanks

If you are using any form of authentication windows or forms you can always use User.Identity.Name to get the logged on username rather than going through the request object.

If you step through the code in a debugger does it call the Session_Start event everytime or just for the 1st time? Also do you notice the SessionIDs changing or remaining the same between refreshes?

Back