Server Explorer Problem

ChuckDoherty

Newcomer
Just recently, my server explorer stopped recognizing any of the connection I had established. Attempts to create new connections resulted in an error box with a message stating;

"Unable to add Data Connection. Some program files are not properly registered on your machine. Run the Setup program again"

After this, I removed and reinstalled both the SQL Server 2000 (SP3), and the entire VS.NET development environment. No change.

I am able to access the database fine from the applications, through the SQL Enterprose Manager, and via the Query Analizer. However, the server explorer will not connect.

I assume that some program or dll associated with the server explorer needs to be registered properly, but I do not know which one.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

cd

I am quite certain that it is not that. Everything is local anyway (no firewalls involved), and the data is accessabe fine from everything else including the apps themselves. This problem has something to do with the registration of some part of the server explorer itself, but I don't know what programs or dll's are associated with it.

Yes I can. But the instance appears with the red "X" on it. When adding a connection, I see the server just fine, and "test connection" works fine. It even stops at that point if I supply an invalid login. But with a valid login, it fails at the nest stage in the process, saying that "some program files are not properly registered." While I agree that security is a factor in any server connection, I am quite confident that this particular problem is not related to security.

I'm having the exact same problem on two separate machines. A third machine works correctly so I assume that the server side is configured correctly. But maybe not.

This one is really driving me crazy.

Tom

PS: Pleased to meet everyone. ;)

Solution found!

I just found the fix for this!

Copy the two DLLs; MSVCR71.DLL and MSVCP71.DLL from the directory Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\VS Runtime into your [Windows]\System32 directory.

That should set things straight for you - itr did for me anyway!

cd

via Google, I happened upon the email address of someone at Microsoft who had posted something related to the visual database support tools. I wrote to him, and he was very helpful. After a few emails back and forth for more info, he sent along the solution. I do think that this is something that should find its way onto the MS knowledge base, and I hope they post it there for others.

Back