Server Error in '/' Application

davearia

Centurion
Hi All,

I have been working on an ASP.NET project on my machine locally for a week and today I finally got to a stage where decided to upload it onto a remote server.

I apologise in advance if this is a tiresome question but I am out of ideas. I did what I normally do in that I used Visual Studio to copy the project to a folder choosing the option to select only files needed to run this application. I put these in a folder on the remote server and put the dll and pdb of this project in the bin folder of the the root of my directory as I usually do.

When I tried to put the address of the aspx i.e. http://www.bigred.me.uk/meb/default.aspx, I got the dreaded Server Error in '/' Application. Are there typical pitfalls that I should look out for?

Also the message instructs me to:
To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

I did this and I still got no more information, so things stand I have no idea what is causing my project not start.

Can anyone either give me a check list of usual suspects that might not allow my project to work or at least tell me how set my webconfig so I can get more information allowing me to get to the bottom of this?

It's very confusing as it works like a dream locally, it's just when I load it onto the remote server when it dies.

Thanks, Dave. :D :D :D

Does the web application require access to anything other than the files copied over? i.e. database connections, xml / xsl files that aren't present on the server?
Also have you tried installing the remote debugging support on the server and attaching the debugger over the network and stepping through the code?

To the first question as far as I know everything is there that needs to be there.

To the second I have never done this. Can you please give me a quick guide to:
installing the remote debugging support on the server and attaching the debugger over the network and stepping through the code

Thanks ever so much, Dave.

Back