Server Component

RobEmDee

Centurion
I realize that there are many ways to handle this, so I have intentionally left my description a bit vauge in hopes of soliciting all forms of suggestions:

I will have a resource (mathematical solver) running on a server (Windows 2000) inside a firewall. There will be 8-10 front ends installed throughout the network on PCs which will all need to use this solver periodically throughout the lifetime of a session.

Solver constraint: One user at a time (one solve spans about 2 seconds).

I would like to create a component that runs on the server and manages the solver and the potenitial queue that could build up in front of the solver (the solver has an API from which it can be programmatically controlled). All of the front ends in the network would talk to this component during runtime when a solve is required.

I would really like to hear some suggestions from experience on how I should plan/implement this component which will run on the server and coordinate the communication between it and the front-ends. I am a bit overwhelmed by the apparent variety of options I have for accomplishing this task. I am obviously coding with the .NET Framework (C#), have access to a dedicated SQL Server, and have absolute cooperation from the Network Engineer to work through any configurations that need to be made. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Back