Server Application Unavailable

golfnut1969

Newcomer
I'm just getting into ASP .NET at home and bought a book. The book instructs you on how to start IIS, etc...
I've been running ASP and I've had .NET installed so I didn't do anything but attempt to create a Hello World type aspx page. I am running everything locally and I get an error each time I try to open and aspx page. I can open an asp or html page from within the same directory. The warning message also says to check the servers system event log. There is no error listed in the event log to corrospond. I'm on page 21 of a book after 3 hours and it's getting very frustrating. If anyone could offer some advice.

PS - I have tried running the file Microsoft has listing on their site and nothing changed.

Server Application Unavailable
The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the system event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

Is IIS actually up and running? Can you open a browser and type localhost and see the annoying IIS welcome message? If that is working then IIS is up.

Have you created a virtual directory in IIS for your HelloWorld test?

How about a windows .NET application, have you gotten one of those up and running?

Some more info, please.

Back