SDK help is of little use

hog

Senior Contributor
I query ComputeBoundingBox Method and get this:

---------------

Note: This documentation is preliminary and is subject to change.
Computes a coordinate-axis-oriented bounding box.

Definition

Visual Basic Public Shared Sub ComputeBoundingBox( _
ByVal pointsFvf As GraphicsStream, _
ByVal numVertices As Integer, _
ByVal vertexFormat As VertexFormats, _
ByRef min As Vector3, _
ByRef max As Vector3 _
)
Parameters

pointsFvf Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.GraphicsStream.
numVertices System.Int32.
vertexFormat Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.VertexFormats.
min Microsoft.DirectX.Vector3.
max Microsoft.DirectX.Vector3.
------

Which tells me next to diddle!

I dare say there are some real whiz kids among us that will understand this with ease, but for a lot of us it mean nothing, no explanation, example etc?

Is there any other source of help out there or as an up and coming DX programmer must I resolve myself to having to keep asking the gurus for advice?

pointsFvF is a stream containing your list of vertices you want a bounding-box for. numVertices is the number of vertices you just passed in. vertexFormat is the format your vertices in the first parameter are in. min and max are filled in by the function and are vertices representing 2 opposite corners of the resulting bounding box.

Thanks that is helpful, I shall have to experiment but I still think it would be better if they supplied a simple example like they do in the standard help!

Do you look at the c++ help? Even if you don't know c++ the descriptions and such can be very helpfull.

And yes, I agree that it's annoying that one has to do that :)

I hadn't but just tried searching in it for ComputeBoundingBox and get a "No Topics Found":(

What a suprise!

Why? MS Why?

D3DXComputeBoundingBox

There's also D3DXComputeBoundingSphere, as well as functions that determine if a ray intersects with these boxes or spheres.

Doh, so not only do I have to try to decode help from a different language I also have to suss out what the different name is for the command??

Way to go MS....they sure like to make things difficult:(

Back