Scripting

geonaf

Freshman
Hello guys,
How can a use a script file for an application, what does it do and which language do I have to use in order to write it?

No, imean the element Microsoft Script Control, found on the menu project->add reference->COM

Look into the [mshelp=ms-help://MS.VSCC/MS.MSDNVS/cpref/html/frlrfSystemCodeDomCompiler.htm]System.CodeDom.Compiler[/mshelp] namespace. It provides runtime compilation services, eliminating the need for other scripting languages. With it, you can compile any .NET program into an executable or a library.

Also, look for a CodeDom example by divil in the Code Library.

Is the codedom namespace the .net replacement for microsoft script control? Because I'm not looking to build and compile .exe's and .dll's really, just want to create small scripts and integrate some objects at runtime.

If you use .net languages to add scripting support to your application, you have to compile them. This doesn't necessarily mean writing exe files to the hard drive, assemblies can exist in memory.

I wrote an article on doing it, follow the link in my signature or look in the Tutor's Corner here on the forum if you want to read it.

I've been looking over the article, and peeked into the program. It seems like a lot of information for me to handle. I may need to pickup a book, or do some more research for a beginner program from start to finish. I'm not a beginner programmer, but I am new to .net - and finding the generic microsoft help a little non-descript and vauge. But your article is a good start thanks for the information. If you have any ideas for books or online resources on this subject it would be appreciated thanks.

Back