Scripting support (tl;dr)

W_Garabrandt

Newcomer
Hello all!
It's been a LONG time since I've been on the board, and I've missed you guys!

For the last few years, I've been working on a game engine. My brother had a really great idea for a turn-based stragety game, and with some slight encouragement, has fleshed out most of his ideas. I really like the direction he is taking it, and want to turn his idea into an actual game.

I've been doing research into game engines and game development packages, but all of them have one of two things wrong: either they are expensive, of don't match what I'm looking for in a language.

So after much thought and debate, I've decided to make my own engine and build his game out of it. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to make a "general-purpose" game engine that could be easily used to make any game, and who knows, maybe others can use this engine to make the game they've always wanted.

Enough intro, now to the point.
I'm working on some ideas for scripting support in the game engine, because it's going to need it. After some research, I've settled on a C-like language I'm calling C-Script. I'm going to use most of the ANSI C definitions for syntax and form, and add in my own API calls to let the script language control elements in the game engine library.

I've been working on different ways to implement a script language, and I'm starting to get close to what I feel it will ultimately look like, but I'd like to get some input from others who have experience in this department.

Does anyone here have experience in implementing scripting languages they'd like to share?

If you'd like to read what I've got so far on this, feel free to check out my blog: http://warren-vbnetdeveloper.blogspot.com/

Thanks for your inputs!

Back