Save File Dialog Box in ASP.NET

Is the user downloading a file then saving it? If so, they will be prompted by the browser, you don't need to take action.

Robby said:
Is the user downloading a file then saving it? If so, they will be prompted by the browser, you don't need to take action.
Hi Robby.

Our client wants a way to download their database, but does not want there to be a direct link to it - otherwise, anyone would be able to directly download the database if they knew the link.

If my path were "Z:\users\johnsmith" (the ISP owns this; I don't know the actual path), then my setup would be something like this:

path\my-website.com\aspnet-client\dataview.aspx
path\database\jsmith.mdb

The database is being placed in a separate directory from my-website.com so that no one can link directly to it. I guess you would say that it is "outside" of the my-website.com www-namespace???

So here's my plan: After our clients go through a login screen, they will have the ability to click a button to download the database. (A similar problem that I also have posted is how to find the actual path to this file.) The link will pull the database out of the Database Directory, and allow them to save it to their computer.

The problems I am having are:
1) I don't know what the path is or how to get it (assumed to be "Z:\users\johnsmith" in the examples above), and
2) Our client wants the ability to download/upload their database to make offline changes.

Maybe it helps to explain everything I am trying to do in this one message, but since there are two separate problems to tackle here, I tried submitting them as two separate issues.

Is my logic in trying to solve this correct? This might not even be the best way to go about doing this. If you (or anyone else) has other ways to go about solving this problem, I am eager to hear those ideas!

Hope to hear back from someone soon,
Joe

Back