Return multiple variables from web service

notlamc

Newcomer
Hi! I'm wondering whether somebody might be able to put me on
the right track.

The application I am designing needs to read some licencing information.

I have approached it this way:

The VB.NET app connects to a web service function, passing a GUID.

This GUID is located in the database and some data should be returned such as licencee name, expiration date etc etc.

As I see it, the most efficient way to handle returning multiple values from a web service should be to compile it as XML on the web service side, send it through the link to the VB.NET app, where it should decompile the information and place the values in their respective variables.

My problem is this: I really don't know how to go about doing so and was wondering whether any brainier people might be able to either point me in the right direction or write me a quick example to learn from.

Any help is appreciated.

Craig

You could get the webservice to return either a class or structure that contains fields containing the information. The web service itself will convert the data to XML and the framework will convert it back to a class on the client.

:)

Thanks PlausiblyDamp!

However, when I design the class/structure at the web service end, will I also have to define it at the client end?

By the way, do you have any examples of classes/structures through web services?

Craig.
PlausiblyDamp said:
You could get the webservice to return either a class or structure that contains fields containing the information. The web service itself will convert the data to XML and the framework will convert it back to a class on the client.

The relevant information will be included in the web service's WSDL. When VS.Net creates the client side proxy wrappers to access the web service it will automatically create the class on the client side - no extra work on your part required.

Back