Retriving Raw print job data

ubiquitous

Newcomer
Hi,

I have used windows api to access the print queue and enumerate print jobs in it.

Getting the name, description, bytes , phone number, favourite breakfast cerial is a piece of piss. However the real problem is getting the actual data from a Print job to be previewed in some way.

This could then form the basis of a print monitoring application that I have been given the task of writing.

I have tried everything, searched many thousands of endless forums and web pages. Everyone seems to be able to get print Job information, nobody can get the data! :(

I would be made a happy chappy if someone could help!

Cheers :)

DEV:

Visual Basic.Net 2003 architect edition

Have a look at Merrion's print monitor component and see if he's able to do it (it's in the code section).
Having read your post in further detail now, I'm not sure if you're able to read the raw print data until it's printed. Then again, I'm not an expert on the matter.

This can be done if the print processor is using EMF data type - but can't be done if it is using RAW - unless you want to write convertes fro the various printer languages (PostScript, PCL5 etc.)

Back