Resource Editor/Toolbar Irritations

NeuralJack

Centurion
This garbage is giving me a headache

I've put off messing with Icons/Images much because in the past anytime i've deleted things using the resource editor major application errors happen.

I am currently use the resource editor under Project- Resource Tab to both add and delete images.

After deleting images I dont want anymore, I am/was deleting the files that are left over in the \resources directory in the Project directory of the program. Why wouldnt I? The program doesnt get rid of them itself when you Delete them with the Resource editor! I want stuff to be clean!

I am primarily using these images as toolbar button images. Well, seems that when there is a problem with my resources the toolbars go wacky, and they often LOSE their buttons. In the past i've found that if i go into the Designer code and do an Toolbar.AddRange i can get the buttons back. Boy, what fun. So this is what I do each and every time I delete an image resource.

There have been times when I forgot to take off the image on a toolbar button before I deleted that image from the resources, but even when I do not forget to take the image off the toolbar button, I still get errors. That resx file really doesnt like deletions.

There have been 1 or 2 other posts ive seen about this, but us people having the deletion probs seem few.

I have an irrational hate of that whole resource file thing by now. I was looking at other ways to put images on my buttons w/out loading them from files each time in code. And I found a great article http://www.codeproject.com/vb/net/embeddedresources.asp .
I'd love to do it by his last method there, but also want to see my images in the toolbars at Design-time. Is there a way to view them on your toolbar at design time with his method?

Also, if you have any ohter comments on why my resources keep getting messed up, let me know.

Back