remove element in config file problems

bri189a

Senior Contributor
Been swamped, I really have to catch up...quick easy problem for someone more familiar with overriding settings in config files:

Our top level web site has an implementation of the UIProcess that requires a configSection: <uipConfiguration>...this version is 'customized' and I don't need it on our virtual web application below the top level site...I need the vanilla version from Microsoft.

So I thought I could (and according to MSDN which I checked when it didn't work the first time) just put:

Code:
<configSections>
          <!-- remove the 'customized' version'-->
	  <remove name="uipConfiguration" />
          <!-- use the original instead -->
	  <section name="uipConfiguration" type="Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.UIProcess.UIPConfigHandler, 

Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.UIProcess, Version=1.0.1.0,Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=null" />
	</configSections>

But what I end up with is the following error:

Section or group name 'uipConfiguration' is already defined. Updates to this may only occur at the configuration level where it is defined.

I have also tried the clear element which even if I comment out my 'new section' will still load the section handler for uipConfiguration which should of been removed.

I'm wondering if there was a KB or something that addressed this since the documentation says this should be possible but it doesn't work on my machine.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm out of ideas and on a time-line.

Thanks!

Back