quick questions

Winston

Junior Contributor
Is it possible to change that computer picture for the setup file
change the cartoon picture to something to ur own

and how do u make a shortcut for the uninstall for your start>programs>app name folder

and is it possible to implement a serial stage to make users to enter the serial number

thanks!

As per my conversations with the Microsoft VB.Net development team:

Question 1 is No
Question 2 is not with the VB.Net installation program
Question 3 is not with the VB.Net installation program

VB.Net's installation program is a very plain paper bag installer. Microsoft might change it in the future, but for right now don't expect too much 'cause it just isn't there.

I gave up on the VB installer and switched back to my old installation program QSetup by Panta-Ray. It does everything you're wishing and more....and it's free to independant programmers! Check it out.

Good Luck
Dan

Winston said:
Is it possible to change that computer picture for the setup file
change the cartoon picture to something to ur own

This is very possible, each page of the wizard has a picture property, you simply change it from 'default' to whatever image you want.

I'll post a step-by-step tonight, I don't have .NET available right now.

First- Qsetup can check if the .Net Framework is installed and install it if necessary...and additional conditional tasks either on setup or uninstall.

Next- Cool Robby, I didn't know that you could change the install image...but you mentioned the Wizard...the Setup Wizard does not exist in VB.Net Standard. Can the image be changed if you're using VB.Net Standard?

And...dotnetredist.exe loads the framework on the computer...but
what file should we look for to see if dotnetredist.exe has already been installed?

Thanks
Dan

Last edited:
Dan; I mean the wizard that is created for you to use for the msi (package).

I don't know if the Standard can even create a deployment package.

Hi Robby,
VB.Net Standard can build programs for deployment...Unfortunately only programs for deployment and not .dlls, .cabs, or anything else. And I can not find in the VB.Net Standard deployment setup where there is a picture property. I wish I had the Professional version....maybe sometime in the future, but not now.

Dan

Ok, with your Setup Solution click menu item View > Editor > User Interface, you should have a tree (parents) Install and Administrative, all sub nodes below them have a property 'BannerBitmap'.
Do you have all of the above?

well im using vb.net enterprise
so i guess i have alot of features

i mean i like the .net installation all i want is to be able to make a uninstall shortcut and now change that pic and im happy

Wow Robby, You're absolutely right. There are banner bitmap options for every screen, even in VB.Net Standard.

Thanks
Dan

and I still do prefer Qsetup :-) many many many more options.

Back