Publish error, An assembly with same simple name already imported.

markm75

Newcomer
I'm still rather new to .net programming, but i've got a web app which im trying to publish (which worked fine before)..

I hit publish.. leaving the checkbox for "allow this precompiled site to be updatable".. setting the location to the default folder under the project folder (precompiledweb)... (i then use a sync program to sync with the production code on the server between this one and the production when published)..

I'm also using the "websites" folder in the documents folder (vs 2008) for the website /projects path.. I've got the app set to 2.0 mode (not 3.5 .net).. initially i had it at 3.5, but my hosting site only has up to 2.0 so far...

When i hit publish, now i get this error all of a sudden:

3 red errors all saying the same thing:

"an assembly with the same simple name 'app_code, version=0.0.0.0, culture=neutral, publicKeytoken=null has already been imported. Try removing one of the references or sign them to enable side-by-side.

I'm not sure what this means, but i have figured out that if i exclude all the files in the folder called bin.. it will publish ok...

in my bin folder i have "app_code.compiled", "app_code.dll", "app_web_19y-xmtk.dll" and "app_web_u2kkuvut.dll"

I've also noticed that i get this weird error sometimes, if i have malformed code in a .aspx or .cs file.. ill try to run the program in debug mode and this temporary .cs file with an error appears.. i cant figure that one out.. usually i just undo whatever change i made on the aspx file (which points to a master page) and then it is able to debug.. the temporary cs file comes from the c:\win\.net \ temp folder area

Thanks for any help...

If you delete the bin folder on the target server before publishing does that make a difference?

Well.. actually, just excluding the bin directory allows me to publish without error..

I'm not clear on what the bin directory's purpose is? Should i be excluding it, in reality?

Thanks

Back