Progress Bar - updating a web form whilst processing

hankthetank

Newcomer
I am wanting to display and update a progress bar on a web form. The progress bar will be updated as code is processed in the page.

Typically, a page is not displayed until it is completely loaded. In this instance, I want to display the contents of a page first, then process a sub/function from that web form's code-behind page, updating elements in the page as it goes.

Any ideas?

Does your aim is to waisting the user time until loading new page?
If so:Frontpage Format Menu can help u
.So u do not need any server side coding:)
Format>Page Transition>...

It is really useful,U can do it by copy/paste in VS.Net!

Flash is not the only thing you could use for loading your Webform with a ProgressBar.

You could do something like this in Javascript. Preloading your image and showing a progress bar dynamically. However it will need a lot of hard to work to make it functionnal. Unless there's already something like this out there ?

That what I said... it's not worth it... unless you have a VERY good reason to do this.

One those reason that I saw on the web is when the page is processing big information or time consumming information, like a payment approval, verification,etc...

They wanted to have a progressbar to show that it was still working. But the progress bar was continuously repeating itself and it was only a Gif.

LOL :p

so... forget ProgressBar in javascript unless you are a little crazy :p

Hehe

Thanks guys...

Yeah I am wanting to provide an indication of progress (such as a payment processing page) as well as a list box showing the tasks completed so far. The whole thing works as follows...

1. user is presented with a form. user selects options then clicks 'Publish'
2. form is posted and results are used to create a series of HTML pages
3. pages are created and zipped server-side, the zip file is then provided to the user for download

The problem is, once the form is posted by the user, the page that publishes the HTML files takes anywhere up to 2-3 minutes to load (there are a lot of pages to be created!). Whilst this page is loading (ie. creating the HTML pages for download), the user jsut sees the form that they have submitted.

What I want to do is to show the user a page listing which file is currently being created and an overall progress bar whilst the HTML pages are being created.

Does this make more sense?? Javascript will not work as this is a server-side process that I want the progress bar and progress text to show.

TIA!

This won't work with either javascript or ASP.NET (unless you refresh your page constantly).

I'll go with an ActiveX component or something like that... which is more linked to the server than a Web page.

I would try to avoid going with an ActiveX component as a solution, the extra download time may be excessive compared to the functionality gained. Also many users may have ActiveX disabled (either personally or at a company firewall / proxy) for security reasons or run a browser that doesn't support ActiveX.

Ya... you're right man...
So... the solution I see (beside ActiveX)... is to let a message on your loading page that say : "This operations could take few minutes... please don't close this page right now".

And you could put a non-stopping ProgressBar.Gif that would tell the user that it's currently working on the project.

Back