Programming for CE/Windows Mobile/Pocket PC

Jay1b

Contributor
Has anybody programmed .NET for this environment?

If so, what emulator did you use? The ones which tie in with VS-2003 always have a problem whilst deploying the program to the emulator. These are the newer ones, and I cant seem to be able to upload files directly to them.

I've found an older CE emulator which allows you to specify a directory and this directory is viewed by the emulator as a storage device (ie: card). I can run programmes on this older one no problem and they work. But when i try to access a database it throws up an error saying it cant support this version of the framework. Is this because the compact framework doesnt support it AT ALL, or that where this is such an old emulator (2002) it just didnt support it at that time?

ANY HELP with this or anything else, would be great thanks.

Jay.

I have done some development using the .Net Compact Framework. For a fair amount of time I managed with the emulator (using VS 2003), but in the end I resorted to using an actual mobile device (in my case the XDAII which the company owned). If you have a device its possible to debug straight to it, which is in my opinion the best option. Unfortunately if you don't have an actual device you may be stuck with the annoyances that comes with the emulator.

Cags said:
I have done some development using the .Net Compact Framework. For a fair amount of time I managed with the emulator (using VS 2003), but in the end I resorted to using an actual mobile device (in my case the XDAII which the company owned). If you have a device its possible to debug straight to it, which is in my opinion the best option. Unfortunately if you don't have an actual device you may be stuck with the annoyances that comes with the emulator.

Thanks... What emulator did you use? I dont suppose you have a link to it do you? Mine wont seem to link in properly... They kinda send the program, but then fail to launch the application.

Also did you manage to get database stuff working? ie: sqlclient..

Thanks again.

I used the default one. It came either with Visual Studio 2003 or with the .Net Compact Framework SDK. I never did any networking stuff with it, but I know a friend that got TCP/IP working. I had the linking problem a few times, but I can't say off the top of my head how I fixed. One problem I know that occured commonly was that an application isn't closed when you think it is, it's minimised, and you have to use the control panel on the emulator to close the application (under memory management somewhere).

OK thanks. I dont suppose you know what SDK you used? I've tried several, but none of them want to work directly. The only one that will 'work' is a very old CE one (not CE.NET). This doesnt tie in with VB.NET but its the only one that has a 'storage card option' where you can set a directory on your computer that CE views as a storage card. So i'm not sure whether my problem is because its such an old version of CE, or whether CE just doesnt support what i'm trying to do.

I guess i'll keep playing around with it. If not i can get it to call a webservice no problem so i can get that to handle the database stuff. At the moment i'm just playing around, before the company invests in the hardware at £1500 per piece, so i really want it to work :)

Back