Program made in 32bit windows doesn't work in 64bit windows

JumpyNET

Centurion
I have made a freeware program and now one of the users has reported that it crashes upon startup.

Here is the error he is getting:
"Name of my app has encountered a problem and needs to close." (etc.)

I made the program in windows is XP Home 32bit, and I'm using VB2005 Express.

The user has XP 64bit and claims to have MS .net Framework 2.0 installed.

Any idea what is wrong? Or maybe you have some defining questions for me or the user?

PS: I know that my program works fine in Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit.

I'm pretty sure there is some kind of a 32-bit emulator that will allow most 32-bit programs to run on XP-64. Plus, if it's .Net I would think the .Net runtime would take care of all the 64 bit versus 32 bit stuff for you when it JITs the IL.

I'm inclined to think it might be another issue, but I have seen problems with the .Net framework between operating systems. For example, the free startup splash screen in the My namespace for VB8 doesn't work on Win2000.

Of course, without more information this is all just speculation.

Not a lot to go on, I'm afraid.
If your program is pure .Net and you left the project options at default, then the compile options are "Any CPU" which means .Net will JIT compile for whatever OS the program is run on. If you chose to create a 32bit EXE then that will certainly have problems. Also, if you use any APIs through P/Invoke calls, they may be to blame.

Did you create a setup for your program? I wonder if it would have detected the presence of the .Net Framework? You could also add more error checking, including an Application exception handler to catch errors more fully.

-ner

Not a lot to go on, I'm afraid.
If your program is pure .Net and you left the project options at default, then the compile options are "Any CPU" which means .Net will JIT compile for whatever OS the program is run on. If you chose to create a 32bit EXE then that will certainly have problems.
Yeas I have left these options at default values. Also the program is pure .Net apart that it uses a dll called AudioGenie from "www.audiogenie.de".

Also, if you use any APIs through P/Invoke calls, they may be to blame.
Well I'm using a few APIs.

Did you create a setup for your program? I wonder if it would have detected the presence of the .Net Framework?
Yeas I'm using InnoSetup, but did not add any scripts that would check the .NET framework. But I did advise the user to update the .NET framework from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...00-acf8-4fa1-affb-40e78d788b00&displaylang=en

You could also add more error checking, including an Application exception handler to catch errors more fully.
Hmm. This sounds good. I'm afraid I have never done this. How can I add one?

PS: A requested some more info about the error from the user, but he hasn't answered yeat.
Also if there is some one out there with Windows XP 64 and has time to inspect this problem here's the link:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Tag-Editors/JaMP-Organizer.shtml

Back