Problem Reregistering VS

texasprd

Newcomer
I'm running Visual Studio 2003 Academic on my home box, with Win XP Pro SP2. I upgraded my hard drive (via Ghost) and memory 2 months ago, and hadn’t been back into VS since. The other night, I opened VS and it is requiring me to reregister. The reregister/install process seemed to indicate that the prerequisutes weren't right. I tried to reload the prerequisites, but got warnings on some, and errors on Visual J (don't use it, but don't want to see errors). When putting the setup disk in, the only option Setup would give is "Uninstall". I decided the best thing to do was uninstall through "Add/Remove programs" (which gives the same menu screen ad the setup disk). The uninstall process got to the "genereating setup script" point (progress bar is about 2/3 across) and has stayed there for over 24 hours. I've used task mgr to up the setup.exe priority to "high", but there's still no movement. The applications pane in task mgr says the uninstall is running (as opposed to "not responding") - I never see it get any CPU time, but it's memory usage is increasing very slowly.

Any ideas on: 1) Why uninstall isn't moving? 2) Any other options to fix Visual Studio (given the course of events above)?

Any help is very appreciated!!

Back