Problem deploying Crystal Reports 9 .NET

nancyi

Newcomer
Hi,
I am trying to create a deployment package for my VB.NET/Crystal reports project. I am using Crystal Reports 9, by the way, not the version that came with Visual Studio.
I have added the Crystal merge modules to my setup package (following the directions found on Crystal Decisions website) and when I try to run it (on Win2000 machine, logged in as administrator), it begins installation but then comes up with the error: "Error writing to file: CrystalDecisions.Shared.dll. Verify that you have access to that directory"
The funny thing is that I can see that this file has is being sucessfully installed in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Crystal Decisions\2.0\managed\.
So why does it stop there? Any ideas?

Thanks

Nancy,

this error can be caused by two things. The first and simple one is that the user logged on does not have permisssion to load software on the machine. Sys Admin can help by either loading the machine or changing ther users permission in that case.

Your problem is something else I think. The reason I say this is that you state "I am using Crystal Reports 9, by the way, not the version that came with Visual Studio."

Check in your Setup and Deployment Application. Under "Detected Dependencies" see if there is a dotnetcrystalreports.msm file.

now see if you have added the other msm files required. By this I mean reportengine.msm, crruntime.msm, etc. If you have both sets of the msm files, then thats your problem.

You are generating duplicate objects with same GUID.
There are two ways to fix this.

The easiest is to just right click on dotnetcrystalreports.msm in the "Detected Dependencies" and check "Exclude"

rebuild your application and you should be fine.

Another way to fix the same problem is to open the msi in ORCA and regenerate the GUIDs. but this is only to test to see if this is the only problem. I would strongly recommend the first option. as the second does not fix the problem, just the MSI file.

Hope this works

Nader Hamzei

Back