Problem calling a function from asp.net

ace333

Newcomer
Below is code that I thought would run a function from asp.net passing it one argument, an id and return one number an integer
as well. I am able to call stored procedures from asp.net with code similar to below but those procedures added
a row of data to the table. I'm wondering is the procedure slightly different when you try to call a
function instead of a stored procedure. I would have thought not since people seem to assume that stored procedures
cover both stored procedures and functions. This is the error that I get when I try to call the function

Oracle.DataAccess.Client.OracleException ORA-06550: line 1, column 7: PLS-00221: 'COUNTROW' is not a procedure or is undefined ORA-06550: line 1, column 7: PL/SQL: Statement ignored at Project1.xmlApp.GetInt(String[] aParams) in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\project1\xmlapp.aspx.cs:line 273 at Project1.xmlApp.btnRead_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\project1\xmlapp.aspx.cs:line 171

Any help is greatly appreciated.

namespace Project1
{
/// <summary>
/// Summary description for WebForm1.
/// </summary>
public class xmlApp: System.Web.UI.Page
{

private void Page_Load(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
{

/**if(inFileLocation.Value == "")
{
btnRead.Enabled = false;
lblfileLoc.Visible = true;
}
if(inFileLocation.Value != "")
{
btnRead.Enabled = true;
lblfileLoc.Visible = false;
}
**/
lblErrors.Visible = false;
lblErrors2.Visible = false;
lblErrors3.Visible = false;
lblErrors4.Visible = false;
lblErrors5.Visible = false;

}

GetInt(arguments);

//****************************************************************

}//End of try block

catch(XmlException eff)
{

lblErrors4.Visible = true;
lblErrors4.Text ="File not validated"+"</br>" + eff.ToString();
}

catch (Exception eg)
{
lblErrors5.Visible = true;
lblErrors5.Text ="Please enter a file path"+"</br>"+ eg.ToString();
}

}//End of read method

/// <summary>
/// Method that is called to execute a stored procedure against the database and return a DataSet.
/// </summary>
/// <param name="aParams">A set or parameters to populate the command object.</param>
/// <returns>A dataset containing the results of the stored procedure.</returns>
///

public int GetInt(string[] aParams)
{
string sConn = GetConnString();

OracleConnection objConn = new OracleConnection(sConn);
OracleCommand objCmd;

int iResult;

try
{

PopulateCommand(aParams,out objCmd);

objCmd.Connection=objConn;
objConn.Open();

iResult = Convert.ToInt32(objCmd.ExecuteScalar().ToString());

}
catch (Exception ex)
{
throw ex;
}
finally
{
objConn.Close();
}

return iResult;

}

//***********************************************************************************************
private void PopulateCommand(string[] aParams,out OracleCommand objCmd)
{
objCmd = new OracleCommand();

objCmd.CommandType=CommandType.StoredProcedure;

OracleParameter param;

for (int i=0;i< aParams.Length;i++)
{
String par = aParams;
if (i==0)
{
objCmd.CommandText= aParams[0];
Response.Write("<br>"+"<br>"+"<br>"+"<br>"+"<br>"+aParams[0]);

}//End if.

else
{
String args = aParams;

param = new OracleParameter(args,OracleDbType.Varchar2);

param.Direction = ParameterDirection.Input;

param.Value = args;

Response.Write("<br>"+"<br>"+"<br>"+"<br>"+"<br>"+param);

objCmd.Parameters.Add(param);

}//End else.

}//End for loop.

}//End PopulateCommand method.

//*************************************************************************************************

}

you're probably missing some code there... you have 2 catch for no try, and your GetInt(Arguments) is not even called inside any function/proc/method

indent your code to see where { } begin and end, this should help you see where you missed something

asfdasdf

Ya i edited some of the code as it would be too much to view it all. and i dont think the problem is indenting my code either

I am assuming thatyou are trying to execute "COUNTROW" via a command object with Command type Stored Procedure.

Are you sure that COUNTROW is visible to the Connection Login as defined in your connection string? And that it has execute permissions?

Permissions are fine

Joe Mamma said:
I am assuming thatyou are trying to execute "COUNTROW" via a command object with Command type Stored Procedure.

Are you sure that COUNTROW is visible to the Connection Login as defined in your connection string? And that it has execute permissions?

Well I can already execute a stored procedure using the same code, so i'm assuming that i can execute a function as well . Am I correct in assuming this

Back