Probably A Simple Question

Phreak

Regular
What I'm trying to do is sort through an IIS log file, and add up the total time a user has spent on the site. Each log file is separated by days, and everytime a user opens a new page, the time is logged. So I can have multiple records for the same user with different times. Say for instance they opened "this" page at 10:30:15, and then opened another page at 10:31:25, and another at 10:33:40.

How can I add all of these times together to get the TOTAL time a user spent on the site? For instance, the total time the user used in the above example spent 3 min 25 sec on the site. Is there a way to do that?

Maybe even easier, put in the 1st time and the last time logged and have it spit out the whole time span?

Ok, I found the DateDiff function, but it keeps returning the value '0'.

Here is what I have:

Visual Basic:
tTTime = DateDiff(DateInterval.Hour, CType(tSTime, Date), CType(tETime, Date))

I did a debug and checked out the values of the variables when it gets to this line and the values are:

tSTime = 14:25:45
tETime = 14:27:40

So there is a difference. Can anyone please help? I am suppose to have this figured out by the end of the day tomorrow.

Visual Basic:
MsgBox(DateDiff(DateInterval.Hour, Date.Now, Convert.ToDateTime("11/06/2003 21:01:33")))
in your case putting the times as ness. but this only calculates the difference in hours not the minutes / seconds so you'll get 0 with the 2 times you got there.
this will give you the diff for seconds :
Visual Basic:
    Private Sub Button4_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button4.Click
        Dim tSTime As String = "14:25:45"
        Dim tETime As String = "14:27:40"

MsgBox(DateDiff(DateInterval.Second, Convert.ToDateTime(tETime), Convert.ToDateTime(tSTime)))
    End Sub
this for minutes :
Visual Basic:
    Private Sub Button4_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button4.Click
        Dim tSTime As String = "14:25:45"
        Dim tETime As String = "14:27:40"

MsgBox(DateDiff(DateInterval.Minute, Convert.ToDateTime(tETime), Convert.ToDateTime(tSTime)))
    End Sub
and they will sort you out with your problem.

You shouldn't use the DateDiff function, as it is left over from VB6
for compatibility. You should use the Date and TimeSpan classes to
do date arithmetic.
Visual Basic:
Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        Dim time1 As Date = Date.Parse("14:25:45")
        Dim time2 As Date = Date.Parse("14:27:40")

' subtract time2 from time1
        Dim difference As TimeSpan = time2.Subtract(time1)

MessageBox.Show("The difference is: " & difference.ToString)
    End Sub
TimeSpan objects are similar to Date object, but
they are used to hold a length of time, rather than an actual
representation of a time.

i found that DateDiff doesnt work in C# ( although you can implement it through a lot of code ) so i thought i'd have a mess with TimeSpan , here's a working example for calculating differences of date / time in C# with timespan :
Visual Basic:
private void button1_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
{
try
	{
            string strDate="10/06/2003 10:20:15";
	    string strFinish="11/06/2003 18:28:37";
            string MsgDay="Difference in Days:\n";
            string MsgHour="\nDifference in Hours:\n";
            string MsgMins="\nDifference in Minutes:\n";

TimeSpan s=Convert.ToDateTime(strFinish).Subtract(Convert.ToDateTime(strDate));
	    MessageBox.Show(MsgDay+s.TotalDays.ToString()+MsgHour+s.TotalHours.ToString()+MsgMins+s.TotalMinutes.ToString());

}
catch
	{
            System.Exception f = new System.Exception();
	    MessageBox.Show(f.Message);
	}
}

Back