playing sample sound wav

shootsnlad

Freshman
I have a e-commerce site I'm doing that is selling CD's. The person obviously wants to let the customer play samples of their CDs songs. These are stored in wav's that are 3.5 MB or an MP3 that is about 150k. When they click on the sample link I want the current window to stay, but to launch whatever default music player they have on their system for that particular type of music file (mp3 or wav) and play the sound file for them. Would a link to the file work? but then how do I keep them on the page? Ideas? It maybe simple, and I'm just missing it. Thanks!

You might be able to manipulate JavaScript RPC to do this - might be tricky though - there's a framework out there called AJAX that is built upon JavaScript RPC fundamentals. Microsoft is coming out with Atlas that is the same thing and rumored to be in the next version of .NET coming later this year. Google JavaScript RPC or AJAX and you'll find plenty of information...getting it to work with the <object> tag might be where the tricky part comes in though; I've only seen it used in 'text' based contexts so far - but anythings possible if you want to spend enough time on something. :)

Back