Placement of ContentPlaceHolder on MasterPage

slimshady

Newcomer
Hi,

I'm trying to create a MasterPage with ContentPlaceHolders in it. I have no problem adding the ContentPlaceHolders to the MasterPage. However I can't seem to put the ContentPlaceHolder anywhere I wish to on the page or change their size.

I wish to have two ContentPlaceHolders on the page, one is for a menu that changes depending on which page the user is viewing, and one where I'll add information on aspx pages.

I tried creating a Table but VS doesn't allow me to put the ContentPlaceHolder within it so my guess is that's not a valid thing to do :-\

I also tried with <div> and then I can say that I want it to be aligned "center" (although VS then says that "align" is outdated and I should use a newer construct). And anyway, I can't place two ContentPlaceHolders next to eachother, they get situated either above or below eachother.

Anyone know what I should do?

Did it give an error when you tried placing it within a table? You definately should be able to use tables in the master to handle positioning of place holders.

If you are looking at using DIVs for placement then CSS styles are the prefered way to approach the problem now.

When I tried to drag and drop the ContentPlaceHolder (CPH) via the Design view the mouse pointer turned into a circle with a line in it and nothing happened, no error message.

But now I tried to add the CPH via the Source view and then it worked! But I can't see the CPH in the Table when I look in the Design view (all I see is the table)...

I added some text to the two CPH's I created and the text is printed in the design view, but there is no borders/lines/marker around it. What I'm trying to get at is that when I then create my aspx-pages it would make more sense to see a border or something around the area that constitutes the CPH?! Or am I missing something?

Thanks for the help!

Back