pass in userid and pw

jvcoach23

Centurion
I'm trying to figure out a way to pass a user id and pw to a web service and have that web service check to see if that id and pw combo can log into nt using nt authentication (we aren't to AD yet).

We have a web site that uses nt authentication. management wants to box to sit out side on a secure site now.. the web folks don't want to be able to pass the id and pw into an interanl web server and have it check if it it can log in or not. I have looked at httpwebrequest.credentials.. but can't find a way to pass in a domain, id and pw.

can somone lend a hand on how this can be done.

thanks
shannon

You will need to have authentication on your app (Web.Config) set to "Windows" mode. Then you can use User.IsinRole("DomainName\RoleName") to check that they are in the group you need.

HTH
Eva

thanks for the response..

I'm not understanding how I can pass in an id and pw to find out if they are good or not. The web server that the id and pw will be typed in at to the user will sit outside the domain. I need to take that Id and pw and pass it to an internal process inside the domain and check it.

What am I missing that will allow me to do that.

thanks
shannon

If you want to use Windows authentication you only need to check if the person IsInRole or not, the you can go ahead and tell the internal process that the person is valid, one way is to Impersonate.

Back