Other uses of DirectX?

Codeless

Regular
I am not too familiar with DirectX, but I am familiar with 3D graphics and some of its technology especially in the mechanical engineering arena. I am wondering if anyone out there is using or knows of someone using DirectX for anything other than games. If so what? Is DirectX programming useful outside of games? Thanks in advance.

DirectX is of use wherever there is a need for advanced graphics techniques, including 3D. I'm sure it is used in testing/simulation, data modelling, and I personally have used Direct3D in graphing. Basically if you need high-speed graphics, or 3D, then you might choose to use DirectX.
It is also used for things like screensavers.

Just to be clear(er), DirectX encompasses a whole suite of functionality, not just graphics. DirectX is used professionally for games, CAD programs, music programs, and video. When I create home movies, for instance, it uses DirectShow (part of DirectX).

DirectDraw and Direct3D get the most "hype" as technologies used in games, but they are used in many windows applications that need high performance graphics. As a developer, it's up to you to pick and choose what you use - GDI, OpenGL, or DirectX for instance.

-Nerseus

Thanks for the input. Based on what I've heard it sounds like a must-have skillset for anyone working with 3D technology. Also will probably not be too terrible to learn with programming and .NET experience.

Could anyone recommend a good book?

I used DirectX for audio playback, there is a class included: AudioVideoPlayback, this class can do all kinds of audio/video playback. Runs very smooth, but isn't suitable for game programming.

Back