Opening IE Window from VB Windows Application

lauriemc

Freshman
I'm trying to open an IE Window, the IE address is actually pointed to an html file on the hard drive. I can open it fine if I use an actual web address using this code:

Dim pr as process
pr = pr.Start("IEXPLORE", "http://google.com")

But I can't do the same thing pointing to the C drive. (Perhaps opening it on C sounds barbaric. But I have clients using laptops out in the field on the open road, no IE connection while on the open road, who need access to a Help file in HTML)

How do I do this ?

No, it didn't.

This is the code I used:

pr = pr.Start("IEXPLORE", "file://c:/TU_Help/index.html")

and it came back with a message saying:

Cannot find 'file:///c:/TU_Help/index.html'. Make sure the path or Internet Address is correct.

What I noticed is that it put an extra slash in front of the c:

I did check the address and it checks out okay.:(

How odd... The following code works for me.
[csharp]
Process pr = new Process();
pr.StartInfo.FileName = "IEXPLORE";
pr.StartInfo.Arguments = "file://c:/mypage.html";
pr.Start();
[/csharp]

Its in C#, but I would assume yours should work.

One thing I do see in your code is that you are reassigning your pr to pr.start. Is that correct for VB? It doesn't look right.

Last edited:
this

Visual Basic:
Dim pr As Process = New Process()
pr.StartInfo.FileName = "IEXPLORE"
pr.StartInfo.Arguments = "file://c:/mypage.html"
pr.Start()

would be the VB version.

you can also try to use the shell command.

Shell("C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE " & URL_OR_PATH , AppWinStyle.MaximizedFocus)

I hope this helps.

Thanks everybody :)

The last solution worked wonderful - ONCE I realized I had an .htm file instead of an .html file. I would have gone around in circles for days if I hadn't finally tried testing with a mypage... right on the C drive - and then realized my extension was wrong. But i learned some things and am happy about that, thanks again

Back