OpenFileDialog Help with If and Opening

daveydave400

Newcomer
Alright I want to make a simple start up program where I have a list of Names of Programs with check boxes next to them. I have it so if you click on the Yes button it uses if commands to open what ever program(s) were checked.

The First Part - I want to add a button for OpenFileDialog so if a program is not listed, then a user can select the .exe file they want to run or a .doc file instead of just word, but I have it all worked out except for I can't open the file would anyone please tell me the code to open a file from an openfiledialog box, I know its simple but for some reason I am just missing something (It is more for other programs because otherwise I can just use "The Second Part").

The Second Part - For the Yes button I want to have it so if openfiledialog1.filename = anything with a filename(or later a filtered extension) then open that filename but I cant get it to let me put *.* or *.doc. So my question is what do I put
Code:
 If OpenFileDialog1.FileName = (*.*) Then System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(OpenFileDialog1.FileName)

How do I go about this? If anyone has any clue on how to fix my problem please help, much appreciated. Thanks

P.S. If anyone knows any websites that are similar to ebypass.org for getting past school district filters on websites please list some, I think my school is filtering ebypass.org now or something cuz it doesnt work there but it does at home.

you need to specify *.* as the Filter property, then check the DialogResult on ShowDialog
eg:
Visual Basic:
[size=2][color=#0000ff]Dim[/color][/size][size=2] OpenFileDialog1 [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]As [/color][/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]New[/color][/size][size=2] OpenFileDialog[/size]

[size=2]
OpenFileDialog1.Filter = "All Files|*.*"

[/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]If[/color][/size][size=2] OpenFileDialog1.ShowDialog = DialogResult.OK [/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]Then[/color][/size]
[size=2][color=#0000ff]
[/color][/size][size=2]    Process.Start(OpenFileDialog1.FileName)
[/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]End [/color][/size][size=2][color=#0000ff]If[/color][/size]

Last edited:
Not totally understood

Alright but you didnt totally understand what I said:
programimage.jpg

I want a user to be able to click on the "Run Other" button and a openfiledialog box opens they select anyfile and then after the click ok or open or w/e then they have to click the "Yes" button and it will open all checked programs and also the file that the user specified. So it might say something like:
Code:
    Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        Dim OpenFileDailog1 As New OpenFileDialog
    End Sub

Private Sub runother_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles runother.Click
        OpenFileDialog1.Filter = "Executable Files (*.exe) | *.exe | Word Documents (*.doc) | *.doc| All Files (*.*)| *.*"
        OpenFileDialog1.InitialDirectory = "C:\"
        OpenFileDialog1.ShowDialog()
        MsgBox(OpenFileDialog1.FileName)
    End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
        If Yes1.Checked = True Then System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("C:\Program Files\LimeWire\Limewire.exe")
        If Yes2.Checked = True Then System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe")
        If Yes3.Checked = True Then System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe")
        If OpenFileDialog1.ShowDialog = DialogResult.OK Then System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(OpenFileDialog1.FileName)
        If Yes4.Checked = True Then System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.exe")
        If Yes5.Checked = True Then System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE")
        If Yes6.Checked = True Then System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe")
        End
    End Sub

What you told me opens an openfiledialog box when i click "yes" as well as "Run other". Maybe now you can help me more directly. Thanks Anyway.

In the button2 click event you do not need to call ShowDialog again, try something like
Visual Basic:
Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
If Yes1.Checked = True Then System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("C:\Program Files\LimeWire\Limewire.exe")
If Yes2.Checked = True Then System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe")
If Yes3.Checked = True Then System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe")
if OpenFileDialog1.FileName <> String.empty then System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(OpenFileDialog1.FileName)
If Yes4.Checked = True Then System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.exe")
If Yes5.Checked = True Then System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE")
If Yes6.Checked = True Then System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe")
End

Back