Object Diagram

rbulph

Junior Contributor
Is there any tool which will automatically generate a diagram showing the relationships between different classes in my project?

mskeel said:
You might want to check out NDepend (http://smacchia.chez-alice.fr/NDepend.html) , though it isn't quite qhat you're looking for (your probably want UML, right?).

This thread addresses the UML side of things. Also, the VS 2005 pro is supposed to have this ability, though I haven't played with it yet.
I don't know what UML is. But I got VS Pro 2005 yesterday (for free, thanks Microsoft) and, ooh yes, you can right click on any class in the Solutions Explorer and select "View Class Diagram", and it's all there. Very nice.

Attachments

UML = The unified modelling language. And that's what you're looking at -- that picture is of a UML diagram. They can show you relationships among classes and a whole bunch of other stuff. They can be very powerful and very useful. It's woth learning about, at least the basics so you can read and understand diagrams you come across.

Seems straightforward enough to me. The only thing I find puzzling is why interfaces are treated as they are. An implementation of an interface is shown as a little lollipop projecting from the class that makes the implementation, and the interface itself is shown as a separate box. But there's no connection between the two - nothing indicates visually that the lollipop represents the interface box. Seems odd. Also, you can add a class property or inheritance relationship to a class through context menus in the class diagram, but you can't add the implementation of an interface. Again, that seems odd. Apart from those two things, though, everything is as I would have imagined.

Back