New to Visual C++ .NET

irtaza

Newcomer
Hey all. Im a C++ Coder looking to get into creating GUI apps. Im looking to try out Visual C++ .NET and dont know where to start. Any links/sites that could help me start to create GUI apps in Visual C++ .NET would be much appreciated. :D

Thanks

Come on, there must be someone with a few links or atleast someone who knows some books for me :P

Jesus Christ, programmers are so impatient. You think 1 day is bad? There's one forum in which my post is the newest post in the topic...and it's 4 months old!

Anyway, switch over to C#, you'll be doing yourself a favor.

There are tons or resources on this site for books and tutorials. Try searching around and check on the web. I've heard google is an ok search engine...

C++ .Net is drag and drop. It's really quite easy. Not nearly as hard as MFC.

Diesel said:
Prove it.
Simply put, C++/CLI has everything that C# has, and it has everything that C++ has. So why every use C#? Because it is so much easier than C++/CLI since it is designed specifically for .Net. Or because there is more support for C# programmers.

"Powerful?" What does that mean? Good performance? Arguably, I'd say C++/CLI wins. More flexible? C++/CLI wins, and by a larger margin on that one. Does that make it the right choice? Most .Net programmers would say no as it seems in my experience. C# shines as far as RAD goes, and that's a powerful feature, one which is at the heart of .Net.

Ultimately, I don't think something so subjective can be proven.

C++/CLI is actually as easy as C#.
If you still want to do all the old hair-raising unmanaged stuff, then fine - that's where the complication lies.
If you want to approach C++/CLI as an alternative .NET language, but plan on writing well-behaved managed code, then it is certainly not tough.

Decided to do what most of the C++ Programmer have done now; move to C#. I have to admit that C++/CLI is very powerful compared to C#, not to mention faster, but C++/CLI doesnt have alot of books,tutorials,resources etc.Im sure going to miss C++ tbh. Not only that, but with C# 3.0 out in the next VS, there will be alot to look forward to for C# programmers, including LINQ, which looks just awesome.

To tell you guys the truth, if C++/CLI had alot of resources,books,source code samples on the net, i would stick with it, but it just doesnt atm.

I'll most likely be moving to C# unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Last edited:
irtaza said:
Bye Bye C++, Hello C#
The cool thing about the .Net world is that it doesn't have to be an all or nothing switch. You can use any .Net language interchangeably in the same solution. Sometimes you might want to brush up on your C++ and other times you might want to crank something out quickly in C# or VB -- you get language interoperability within .Net for free and you get to choose which language best meets your needs (which sounds like C# for the time being).

Back