.Net Web Control and Netscape

Fylom

Newcomer
Hi,

Does the Web Control are compatible with Netscape Navigator or are they Iexplorer only ?

And if so, could it be run on a linux server running Apache ?

ASP.NET sends HTML code to the browser, so yes they are compatible. However there are a couple of stylistic features that are not, but it isn't a big deal.

Who uses Netscape anyway? :)

Ok, but Web control are like ActiveX control, it have full control over the end-user's computer. We are not talking about html code, but executable.

So, does the answer to the first question is still the same ?

I need the control to be able to copy files and start an executable. So this can be done ?

It may work with Netscape 6 or higher, but I'd test it yourself. You can install Netscape side-by-side with IE to test on though you can't have Netscape 6 and Netscape 7 on the same machine (same OS that is).

Personally, I haven't had much luck with running ActiveX controls in Netscape and ended up not using them for one project. On another project we use ONLY IE (SOOO much nicer) but we still don't use ActiveX controls.

If you're using ActiveX controls you're likely developing a business app, likely on an Intranet, in which case requiring IE is a perfectly viable option.

-nerseus

... It's the web server that handles the web control objects, not the client. When a client requests an aspx page, all they get in return is HTML code (and sometimes Java code). You can easily confirm this buy throwing a few web controls on an aspx page, load it up in your browser, then view the source. As a matter of fact you can even set compatibility options for your ASP.NET pages and choose whether it even uses Java for some dynamic things (such as the validator controls).

Maybe I'm just getting your question confused.

humm... yes, I'm really confused.

I need something as powerfull as ActiveX but I need it to run easily on Netscape and Iexplorer. So I am thinking about using Java finally. But if you say that ASP can do pretty the same AND without having to download the 20 mb Framework, I may consider using it...

Whoa, whoa!

First, Web Server controls (part of .NET) do spit out just HTML - and you can set the compatability to work with IE, Netscape and more.

ActiveX controls can be hosted in the browser and mostly work with IE but also work somewhat with Netscape 6 and higher.

The Web Server controls do NOT need the 20mb framework on a client machine, only on the server. If you're not running .NET on the server, you obviously wouldn't need the framework there either (then you might just have ASP not ASP.NET pages).

As for being able to copy files and start an EXE you CANNOT use the Web Server controls as they don't have the permission to run on a client machine. An ActiveX control can do this, but usually (and hopefully) the user will be prompted to install and run your ActiveX control which you'll want to have signed so that the user will have some idea whether to "trust" your code or not.

If you develop the ActiveX control, I'd suggest using VB6. In that case, you'll have to make sure the end-user has the VB6 runtime (which should be on just about everyone's machine anyway).

An alternative to ActiveX would be a Java class. I'm not real familiar with developing those classes, so I can't speak on the permission you'll have but I would guess it's the same as ActiveX (you'll have to get prompted before having any Java code run that could harm a user's machine, such as copying files or starting EXEs).

-Nerseus

Perhaps you should tell us what you're trying to do, and we can tell you if you can do it with ASP.NET (you did say that you were doing this on a web page right?) or if you'll indeed need to use Java.

Web controls and ActiveX controls are totally different. First you mentioned Web, then you mentioned ActiveX.. I'm starting to get confused. :)

Well, I need an executable to run on clients' machine. But since most user are not familiar with setup process, I have to make the setup from behind. Users should only have to say "Yes I trust" and then the .exe would install automatically on the machine and then start. I know that ActiveX control act that way, but I have no access to the code of the executable and cannot convert it. My activex control (or any other way method) should only copy files needed and then start the exe. Understand ?

I am presently searching the best way of copying files and then running the executable.

If I first talk about web control, it was because I though that Netscape could not run ActiveX control, so I was searching for a better solution...

Ah, well Web Controls isn't what you're looking for. Web Controls are for basic web page development, it's all handled on the server and the only thing the user gets is HTML to view the page. :)

As for ActiveX vs Java.. I don't know. I'll let one of the local gurus handle that can of worms.

Back