.NET validator not working on live site only

Vetrijar

Regular
I'm having a problem with the regular expression validator or any other validator working correctly when the website is LIVE. everything works great when I'm debugging or testing the site on my home computer. The validator shows when I havent' typed enough characters when I exit the box, and tells me if there are any errors otherwise. When I have the site live and test it from a different computer. the validator doesn't even activate. there is no message that shows for anything. Is there some type of compatibility thing with the validator?? Shouldn't it work on all computers if it works on the .net testing on mine??? everything is TRUE mainly with the validator, and the display is set to dynamic.

I need help. Not sure on code with this, as it's the graphic view of the validator.

Does the browser allow JavaScript?

Also, if this is a shared hosting environment make sure that this file is in the root of your application 'asp_client/system_web/1_1_4322/WebUIValidation.js'

Hi...
As far as I understand, the validators do not get into effect until the page is submitted. This is not the case when you are testing the form on a local machine because, the javascript code that is executed for validation is on the machine itself. Whereas, when you are testing the form on a live site, the form needs to be submitted to the server for the javascript validation code to check the validity of the form.

Once you enter the fields in the form, "submit" the form and you can see that the regular expression validator is fired. Let me know if this is working for you.

SJ

Vetrijar said:
I'm having a problem with the regular expression validator or any other validator working correctly when the website is LIVE. everything works great when I'm debugging or testing the site on my home computer. The validator shows when I havent' typed enough characters when I exit the box, and tells me if there are any errors otherwise. When I have the site live and test it from a different computer. the validator doesn't even activate. there is no message that shows for anything. Is there some type of compatibility thing with the validator?? Shouldn't it work on all computers if it works on the .net testing on mine??? everything is TRUE mainly with the validator, and the display is set to dynamic.

I need help. Not sure on code with this, as it's the graphic view of the validator.

You understand incorrectly...

Client side script works just the same on a production server as it does on a local machine

as mentioned in the first reply, simply copying up the "asp_client" directory to the root of the site will solve his ills

I have been working on some .NET sites lately and I always came across the same issue. Whenever I am testing on a live site, the validators are never fired when we leave a web control with an incorrect input data. It only fired when I submit the form!! If this is the issue of the javascript file being in the "asp_client" sub directory, how can we govern that? The hosting servers should take care of that, istn't it? So, I thought, this is how it is supposed to work on a live site. Any ideas?

SJ

sj1187534 said:
I have been working on some .NET sites lately and I always came across the same issue. Whenever I am testing on a live site, the validators are never fired when we leave a web control with an incorrect input data. It only fired when I submit the form!! If this is the issue of the javascript file being in the "asp_client" sub directory, how can we govern that? The hosting servers should take care of that, istn't it? So, I thought, this is how it is supposed to work on a live site. Any ideas?

SJ
That's just a very weird quirk of the client side validators.... there seems to be no rhyme or reason on why they act like that...

but in the end, valid data is indeed getting posted :)

even with the scripts, sometime the validator flags don't dissapear right away unless you hit "submit".. like its not running the script on every "OnChange" event

Okay...
VsNet = Microsoft
IE = Microsoft
Other Browzer != Microsoft

And like a monopolistic reaction... Validator don't seem to work on other browser (didn't try to copy the .js in the web site)... so maybe there's other thing that it don't allow

This has NOTHING to do with Microsoft or its stronghold on the software community. It has to do with other browsers not parsing a page as they should be. The only thing that the validators do is use some simple JavaScript, this is not rocket-science.

Wohhhhh... didn't kill anybody

Robby said:
This has NOTHING to do with Microsoft or its stronghold on the software community. It has to do with other browsers not parsing a page as they should be. The only thing that the validators do is use some simple JavaScript, this is not rocket-science.
OK ok! don't spit on me! :p
I just said that because when I tried validator it didn't work with Netscape and did with Internet Explorer BEFORE I move the .js file.

Sorry if I had a "political" look against Microsoft or anything but it's just result from tests.

Back