.NET issues....

Audax321

Regular
... .NET memory usage for a simple form with four buttons and two listboxes uses about 16 mb of memory!!!!

I was thinking about making a program in .NET to run a game.. but damn thats going to hog memory the game could be using, seriously killing any interest in the app... guess I'll stick to VB6 for any "practical" programming I need it for.

Is there anything that can be done to reduce the consumption?

Just let .net take care of its own memory consumption. Thousands upon thousands of lines of code have gone in to making the .net garbage collector what it is, and the codes makes for fascinating reading. It may look like a lot, but it scales well and it will look after itself. The GC is meant to relieve the programmer of worry about memory concerns, not the opposite.

So, what your saying is that this app I am planning on converting to .NET (launches a game and waits for it to exit so it can do some stuff) will give the game more memory if it requires it? Say a user is playing the game and desperately needs an extra 4 mb. Will .NET scale its memory consumption down accordingly?

I guess I'll give .NET a try and see how it goes.

It definitely owns the hell out of apps that you don't need to worry about hogging memory from another more memory intensive app.

Thanks.. :)

divil said:
... and the codes makes for fascinating reading...
divil, do you have any specific articles in mind? I've been unable to find any really detailed info on GC that satisfies my curiousity. I've looked through research.microsoft.com to no avail.

Back