to my question.
If I deploy and /or publish (asp) an
application using .net....will it make
an encapsulated program for me
or will it make the .exe need to run
only on machines that have the .net
framework installed.
Please explain with detail so I can do
some extra searches on the web for this.
Thanks

it will make an exe that needs the .net framework to run. are you familiar with Java? while in the details (search research.microsoft.com) of the CLR are quite a bit different, at 30,000 feet, they are fairly similiar. Not sure what details you want really, .net programs aren't compiled to machine code, instead to Common Intermediate Language which the CLR handles. Take a look at this and see if it answers your questions.
http://research.microsoft.com/~emeijer/papers/CLR.pdf

This much I have read up about...but I thought that the CLR would produce a compiled .exe that was portable....I am aware that Java would need what ever .zip or .jar files to run....but these would be specific to the contained classes or objects needed...however .net as I understand it...needs to install the full 80 mbs. of framework....a lot more than i would need in java.
I guess maybe I should read up on how to split off the dependencies from the whole so that the program can run without having to install the whole framework and just use the
same principle as Java....Thanks for you time...and please let me know if I was erroneous

You were erroneous... it needs 21meg of runtimes, not 80. There's no way to get rid of this dependancy.

Thanks....I appreciate the info
I still haven't finished my project yet...so I don't
know how the deployment package size will turn out...hope it
fits on 1 cd!!!
That burger must be a WHOPPER!
Cio

Back