.net beginner

• Thread starter Thread starter chewy2724
  • Start date Start date
C

chewy2724

I am not sure what kind of response I will get but I need some tips. I know how confusing vb can be not to mention vb.net. However I want to get started on learning this and doing some low end programming. I have purchased vb.net and vb.net black book but I think I need some online tutorials to help me build a foundation for programming. Like strings, variables, loops and things like that. I know that if you don't know that stuff you are going to be pretty lost with everything else so that is why I am asking and from looking at some of the threads in here I see that people here know what they are talking about. Sorry for asking but is there any online tutorial or websites that are good for beginners on getting started (with windows applications preferably).

Thanks and try to understand I have to start somewhere.
chewy2724

Hey I know where you are coming from. I have been studying vb.net for about 6 months now. I am now developing some basic windows and web applications. I think the vb.net bible is an excellant resource. Its an easy read and its full of good info. If you have any specific questions feel free to email me, maybe I can help. I probably had the same questions in the last mont that you have now. my email address is mikeb455@cox.net

I can't speak for online information (although I'm sure it's out there) but I will put in my two cents for books. If you really want to learn programming, find a book (or online source) that talks about programming first and Windows second.

I know lots of VB books, especially VB.NET, go into details about drawing controls and using events - which is great. But, you'll really want a good foundation of variables, if...then, loops, etc. before you get too far. I know that's what you asked for but if you head off to a bookstore be careful not to buy a book that looks good at a glance but doesn't have much meat once you get home. Make sure you read through it awhile and that the "programming" parts aren't in an appendix (usually a bad sign) :)

-ner

Back