.net 1.0 and .net 1.1

zubie

Centurion
Hi all

My project is written using .net 1.0.

I have .net 1.0 and .net 1.1 installed on the server how can I be sure that my 1.0 project is reading the correct framework

Also if I want to change my project from 1.0 to 1.1 what is the best way of doing this?

cheers
ZuBiE

1.0 is compatible with 1.1
1.1 is NOT compatible with 1.0 (or at least... yes... but not all feature... better not take chances)

I don't think you'll have to do much things to switch version. Look in your .sln ... there should be something that say "1.0" or "1.1" so... it's the only difference I know (apart from additional features) that you'll need to change.

You could always just remove 1.0. Applications compiled against 1.0 should work with 1.1. Also you will find ASP.Net is probably working with the latest version installed by default.

However if you are running VS.Net 2002 it will require framework 1.0 to be present so only consider removing it if you are running VS.Net 2003.

I have VS 2002, can it run with .net 1.1??

I think someone told me i can overwrite 1.0 with 1.1 even tho i have VS2002...but when I tried it, it just installed it side by side..

ah, thanks for telling me..I'm the only developer here..if i mess up something,no one can help me...

So if I want 1.1, it's better to get 2003? instead of keeping 2002 and trying to get it to work with 1.0?

If you get 2003... you'll be able to compile project for both version of the framework.
If you keep 2002... you'll have to stick to 1.0 but will still work on Framework 1.1.

If you're happy with 2002 and it work well... why change ?
There was some bug correction, new features (didn't see any... PM me to tell me which are new because I didn't see any).

have a good day... the choice is yours (price is high for VS.NET... so... your money... your decision)

Hey again

Well I have VS 2002 .. I'm happy with it and its working grand
I do however have a problem with my server

I have a screen for adding/amending users
This works fine so my Web services seem to be working

when I try and run a screen with a CrystalReportsViewer on it I recieve an error
"Error executing child request for repViewer.aspx"

anyone got any ideas?
have I missed anything in my install package?

cheers
ZuBiE

Update Framework to 1.1

I'm working on a PrintDialog issue with Microsoft and received the following advice from a GDI tech at Microsoft:

By the way, just in case you don’t have 1.1, there are two ways to get it...

1 – You can get Visual Studio .Net 2003 which includes 1.1 and which automatically builds apps against the 1.1 Framework.

or

2 –

A - Download version 1.1 of the Framework from our web site...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/technologyinfo/redist/default.aspx

B - Then, configure your application to use 1.1 (instead of 1.0). See the “Configuring Windows Client Applications” section of...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/technologyinfo/redist/default.aspx

In a nutshell, using this sample, you would create a small file in the same directory as your EXE called “yourexename.exe.config” containing...

<configuration>
<startup>
<supportedRuntime version="v1.1.4322" />
<supportedRuntime version="v1.0.3705" />
</startup>
</configuration>

Assuming v1.1.4322 and v1.0.3705 are the versions you have on your system. You can check by going to the windows\microsoft.net\framework directory and viewing the subdirectory names there.

I then added a label to the About form to show the version of the .NET Framework we are using:

Code:
    lblVersion.Text = ".NET Framework Version " & Environment.Version.Major _
      & "." & Environment.Version.Minor _
      & "." & Environment.Version.Build

It now shows that I'm using version 1.1.4322.

Back