Need help comparing .NET to Java

bri189a

Senior Contributor
I need examples of large well know applications (enterprise software) written in .NET that demonstrate it's scalability, portability, etc. and any articles that compare it to Java (in the good light). I have people who are under the impression that .NET is not scalable, and is not a good enterprise solution (or cabaple of being one), and that Java is the better technology (even though we have 0 java developers besides the little bit me and a few others know).

I need, links, numbers, and articles that are cold hard facts (not opinionated).

I'm googling but I'm not sure what to google for.

Thanks for your help!

bri189a said:
I need examples of large well know applications (enterprise software) written in .NET that demonstrate it's scalability, portability, etc. and any articles that compare it to Java (in the good light). I have people who are under the impression that .NET is not scalable, and is not a good enterprise solution (or cabaple of being one), and that Java is the better technology (even though we have 0 java developers besides the little bit me and a few others know).

I need, links, numbers, and articles that are cold hard facts (not opinionated).

I'm googling but I'm not sure what to google for.

Thanks for your help!

Scalability is all about the architecture. If a system is architected with scalability in mind and done so correctly it will scale. (Think SOA) Much depends upon how the client prioritizes their needs. You can have a system that is slower but will scale extremely well, but ti may take too long to build it.

I think you're going to have to refer to either 3rd party (objective) comparisons or white papers from each community.

Here is a recent article comparing .NET 2.0 and Java 1.5. It doesn't specifically address your question but it may help:
http://www.bentuser.com/article.aspx?ID=323

Last edited:
I agree whole heartedly that a good design is what makes an application scalable. However not all people realize this. Thanks for the article. I found that earlier. Found some good through-put and response time measurements too and lines of code comparission.

Any major companies that use .NET, or pre-package enterprise solutions that are built on .NET is kind of what I'm looking for now for comparission sake.

This aticle discusses the VM debate and managed vs unmanged code which you probably already have a lot of.

What about compariing IDE's? You could compare #Develop, written in C#, and Eclipse written in Java.

This article describes .net scalability in a favourable light to J2EE, but with any article of this type, you have to ask questions as to why the author wrote it.

www.object watch.com/FinalJ2EEandDotNet.doc

I'd suggest looking at your application and think about what might cause problems as your application scales. If your application does a lot of mathematical calculations, perhaps a language such as C++ that offers more control at a lower level will be better for you.

If database access is likely to be the issue, then the critical decision is whether to go Oracle or SQL Server or something else, not .net/j2ee.

(edited - you'll have to remove a space from the link, as the original falls foul of a profanity checker)

I'd submit that if you have to switch to c++ because of the mathematical calculations you need to do then you original language was a flaming pile.

Hehe... object watch... t w a t

Back