Multiple Projects 1 DLL Problem!! AAHH!!

Diablicolic

Centurion
**URGENT** Multiple Projects 1 DLL Problem!! AAHH!!

This program game is due the 26th, and I've come across a crazy problem!

Ok I'll try to give enough information so you guys can help me out. Ok this is the overview of what's going on:

Overview: Ok I've got 2 projects. One is a DLL and the other is like the main menu and the place where the character moves. The DLL project is for the Battle, Game Over, and Battle Over.

DLL Project:
-Battle Form --when you're battling
-Game Over Form --when you die you go here
-Battle Over Form --where you receive your experience PROBLEM

Main Project:
-Main Menu --where you choose to go to a new game, load game, or exit
-WORLD --this is where you walk around with your character

PROBLEM

Ok first go to Main Menu, so you click on New Game, there you go to the WORLD. Then Bam! You go into a battle! So I hide the WORLD form and send all of the stuff I need to the Battle form on the DLL. So you kill the demon! Then all of the information goes to the Battle Over form. Now, here's the problem:

How am I suppose to send all of the data from Battle Over to a class in the WORLD if I can't reference to it?! (because I can't create a reference to a project that is not a DLL)

Create an information object that can be passed back and forth between the two objects. ie;

C#:
public class Info 
{
   public int Score = 0;
}

public class SomeDllClass 
{
   private Info _info;

public Info ClassInfo
   {
      get {
         return _info;
      }
      set {
         _info = value;
      }
   }
}

Last edited:
This is my first time with get and set.

All of the information I'm moving from form to form is:

Level
CurrExperience
NextLevelExp
CurrHP
CurrMP
MaxHP
MaxMP
Strike
Defense
Wisdom
Courage
Swordlvl
Armorlvl
enemyPower
item1
item2
item3
item4
item5
item6
item7
item8
item9
item10
item11
item12
item13
item14
item15

Now I'm transferring this stuff from WORLD to Battle to Battle Over and then back to WORLD.

But that example that you made, that class called SomeDllClass, I would refer to that when the Battle Over is done with right? (when I move back to WORLD)

I'm sorry for the bold, is it easier to read?

wyrd said:
Create an information object that can be passed back and forth between the two objects. ie;

C#:
public class Info 
{
   public int Score = 0;
}

public class SomeDllClass 
{
   private Info _info; [COLOR=red]<-- But I can't refer to a class that's not a DLL and not a Reference.  It wouldn't know what Info is.[/COLOR] 

public Info ClassInfo
   {
      get {
         return _info;
      }
      set {
         _info = value;
      }
   }
}

Okay, so it's set up like this;

Project
World

.dll
Battle

You have a reference from World to Battle (obviously), correct? From your explanation I'm assuming this is true, otherwise you couldn't of passed info. to it in the first place.

There are two easy solutions;

1) Pass a Form object into the Battle's constructor, which would allow Battle to reference World.

2) Create an Event inside Battle that is triggered when something happens. This will allow you to register the event over on the World (you can do it dynamically at run-time when you create a Battle). Obviously this would allow you to send info. from Battle to World using your EventArgs.

Whatever solution you choose, you'll still want to use an object (like I described above) to pass in and out information. It looks like those properties you listed above all belong to a Player, so you should have a Player object that you pass around (btw, Get and Set are used to Get and Set a property);

C#:
public class Player
{
    // To simplify things and save myself typing, I'll just
    // make all the member variables public. In your actual
    // application you should make these private and then
    // create properties for each so you can have control
    // on what info is being passed around.
    public int Level;
    public int Experience;
    public int ExpNeeded;
    public int HP;
    public int MP;
    public int MaxHP;
    public int MaxMP;
    public int Strike;
    public int Defense;
    public int Wisdom;
    public int Courage;
    public int SwordLevel;
    public int ArmorLevel;
    public Item[] Items = new Item[15];
}

Well I did send the form WORLD to Battle but...when you know you type something like this in a class, let's say the Battle Class:

Code:
//So here I Imported the World form into Battle

public void Imported(System.Windows.Forms.Form MyWorld)
{
//Ok so now I have the WORLD reference
//Buuuut when I go like this:
MyWorld.

//And get the list of public subs and whatnot, I can't find the 
//Public sub that has to do with the character stats
//That is located in the form WORLD

}

There are tons of ways to allow communication between forms. You just need remember that a form is a class. When you realize this, it becomes clear, and you can finally start treating it like one in your code.

C#:
public class MyWorld : Form
{
   public Info WorldInfo
   {
      // Get/Set...
   }
}

public class Battle : Form
{
   private MyWorld _world;

public Battle(MyWorld world)
   {
      _world = world;
   }

public void FinishBattle()
   {
      _world.WorldInfo = ... // Whatever...
   }
}

wyrd said:

1) Pass a Form object into the Battle's constructor, which would allow Battle to reference World.

Ok how would I create a reference to the World by using the Form Object by using this?

System.Windows.Forms.Form myWorld

------Edit-------

This is how I transfer the information from WORLD to Battle:

Event:

C#:
Dim mySounds As New Splash_Screen.MySounds()
						mySounds.Play("Data/Sounds/Battle-Start.wav", SND_ASYNC)
						System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(5000)
						imgAvatar.Image = Nothing
						lblTalk.Text = ""
						timDialog.Enabled = False
						BackgroundMusic = BackgroundMusic.FromFile("Data/Music/Opening II.mp3")
						BackgroundMusic.Stop()				BackgroundMusic.CurrentPosition = 0			Me.Hide()				
                '//Dim myBattles As New Battles()			'//myBattles.Initialize()
	Dim mySound As New Splash_Screen.MySounds()		mySound.StopPlay()
	Dim newBattle As New Splash_Screen.Form1()		newBattle.Show()				TransfertoBattle(newBattle)				timDialog.Enabled = False

Transfer all the data to the Battle using this class in the WORLD

C#:
Public Sub TransfertoBattle(ByVal theform As Splash_Screen.Form1)
		Randomize()
		Dim myRando As Integer
		myRando = CInt(Int((5 * Rnd()) + 1))
		theform.transfertoBattle(Convert.ToInt32(lblLevel.Text), Convert.ToInt32(lblCurrentExp.Text), Convert.ToInt32(lblNextLevel.Text), Convert.ToInt32(lblHPCurrent.Text), Convert.ToInt32(lblMPCurrent.Text), Convert.ToInt32(lblHPMax.Text), Convert.ToInt32(lblMPMax.Text), Convert.ToInt32(lblStrike.Text), Convert.ToInt32(lblDefense.Text), Convert.ToInt32(lblWisdom.Text), Convert.ToInt32(lblCourage.Text), mySwordlvl, myArmorlvl, myRando, myItem1, myItem2, myItem3, myItem4, myItem5, myItem6, myItem7, myItem8, myItem9, myItem10, myItem11, myItem12, myItem13, myItem14, myItem15, COPYOFMYWORLD)
	End Sub

If you look at the very end of the information movement, you'll see
COPYOFMYWORLD. At the top of this form this is what it looks like:

Private COPYOFMYWORLD As The_Final_Fantasy.World

Note that the DLL is in C# and the Project
with the WORLD and Main Menu are in Visual Basic .NET

Last edited:
Here's a large picture (sorry for it being so large :-\ ) of everything! I'm still trying to work with what you're saying Wyrd. But like they say, frustration is part of learning.

Attachments

*scratches head* Ah, I had a bad feeling this is what you actually ment. I was hoping you were refering to "reference" as in referencing an object via code, not the actual class library.

The only way I know of (maybe someone else can chime in here, I've never actually tried to reference a project before) to solve your problem, would be to create an Interface that is stored in a seperate class library, then have your form inherit that interface and also use it in your .dll.

C#:
public interface IWorld
{
   public Info GetWorldInfo();
}

public class World : Form, IWorld
{
   public Info GetWorldInfo()
   {
      return _info;
   }
}

public class Battle
{
   public Battle(IWorld world)
   {
      world.GetWorldInfo();
   }
}

I'm not going to rag on about bad design decisions (god knows I make a ton of those myself), but what I would of done is seperated the game logic into a self containing class library, and then had your forms all within the same game project.

LOL, yeah that would've been the smart way. You see when I was thinking about a Battle part in the project for the World and Main Menu...I tried an example on a different project in C# (why...I do not know lol), to see if I could do it.

Well I did it! But it looked so good that I didn't want to move it over to Visual Basic, because if I did that then people would start to think: "Visual Basic? Gah that's like HTML." So now I got myself into this mess! lol, oh well I'll try out what you said.

But I'll give it time because I'm going to make it so that they don't go:

World --> Battle --> Battle Over --> World

I'm going to MAKE them go:

World --> Battle --> Game Over rofl

It's the only way for now :rolleyes:

Thank you for your help a lot Wyrd! I know we didn't exactly see each other eye to eye lol, but just the fact that you tried to help a lot is very nice of you.

Back