Multiple Entries In Add and Remove Software List

BaldrickThe4th

Newcomer
Hi All

I'm able to deply my app over the top of a previous version, but i've recently noticed that I'm leaving multiple entries in the add and remove software list. Can any one suggest what I'm doing wrong?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Do you have a fixed company name and product name or are you just using the default values.
Could that cause your problem

Thanks.

I have changed the Author and Manufacturer, but these now remain unchanged.

As the version changes so does the product code.

Thanks

I have this exact same problem.. The only thing I change each time is the version with asks me if I want to change the productcode, and i click yes.. thats the only thing that I could think might be the problem :S

Have you the 'DetectNewerInstalledVersion' and 'RemovePreviousVersions' properties setup correctly.

I have the same problem as BaldrickThe4th has.

Here are the properties I have set for the deployment project (installer):
Author: Lanc1988
DetectNewerInstalledVersion: True
Localization: English
Manufacturer: My Program Name
ManufacturerUrl: My Url
ProductName: My Program Name
RemovePreviousVersions: True
Version: 0.97.2

The only thing I change ever is the Version which asks if I want to change the product code and I have always clicked yes.. could that be the problem? should i be letting the product code stay the same everytime?

I am using VS 2000 and to be honest I have never encountered this. Whis version of VS are ye using.

I generally do not let the setup remove the previous version. I force the installer to remove the program using the 'Add/Remove Programs' first and then do the install.

This always leaves things clean.

This might be a pain to have to do in some cases, but it is probably safer in the long run.

Install Issues as well

If the app is updated, my user shouldn't have to dump the entire directory by using add/remove programs.

I also get multiple entries in the Add/Remove Programs list.

I change the version and say yes to change the product code, but the Upgrade code remains the same. By changing the version number I got past the "Another version is installed..." message.

Another strange thing I'm noticing is although I build my solution, the install log shows on an upgrade that the InstallFiles lines do not include any DLLs or EXEs, so my program doesn't even get updated?

I have no launch conditions, nor do I exclude anything. Anyone else notice this?

Also, how do I NOT overwrite an existing file, such as a configuration file? I tried using the launch condition editor, but I had something wrong, but it didn't install anything.

Remove Add/Remove Programs entry when updating

Searching MSDN and found this article about the Windows Installer and the Add/Remove Programs. It mentions the following:

If the installer detects that the product is marked for complete removal, operations are automatically added to the script to remove the Add/Remove Programs folder in Control Panel information for the product.

...But I couldn't tell what I need to set to do this.

Here is the link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...p/organizing_applications_into_components.asp

you mean instead of letting it generate a new number when you change the version, enter your own?

Lanc1988 said:
you mean instead of letting it generate a new number when you change the version, enter your own?

No, Just change the Version number to 1.x.x (it MUST start with 1 to let the 'removepreviousversions' get to work) and let the system change the ProductCode.

Back