Moving ASP.Net App to Server

jccorner

Centurion
Can someone help me here. I wish to "deploy" my ASP.Net app to my web host's server. Without actually having them install it, how do I accomplish this?? Appreciate the help.

Copy any ddl's, web.config, .aspx pages and .ascx part of any user controls to the folder your web host has designated for you. Make sure they have that folder set up to run apps.

So you're an AS400'er...and assuming the link in your signature only goes to a 'this is the future site of...' I'm assuming you're building that site...do they have any 'I don't already know' RPG web sites out there... like RPG 101 or something. Everything I find is either moving someone up from RGP IV to ILE or 3 to 4, or is the opposite end of the spectrum that tells me how to program but doesn't give me any real knowledge or RPG. IBM web site is worthless unless you already know the lingo, so the little I have to do on the 400 is luck at best. Any help or tutorial web sites you know of, let me know...thnks.

bri189a said:
Make sure they have that folder set up to run apps.

What settings must be set for the folder?? Also, does the ip string in the web.config file have to be set to the server that's hosting the app?? Thanx.

Here's a useful directory for RPG learning:
http://geocities.com/strpdm70/IBMManualsDirect.htm

You won't find too many tutorials out there. You may want to browse around the google as400 groups as well.

Last edited:
the only ip string I can think that you're talking about is session state...shouldn't need to touch that unless the server doesn't have sessions enabled in which case find a differant web host. As to the other part it depends on how your 'control panel' is set up, many place have a 'virtual directory' setting, but basically what it maps to is the ability for a program to run in that directory, your hosts help file should have something on it and you should be able to find out real quick if you copy the files over, go to the index page and nothing happens. If you get to talk to people directly, basically in there IIS configuration that folder would have an application associated with it and the execute permissions set to run scripts or higher. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the link, but...

Again, IBM's web site assumes you have experiance on the 400 or with RPG/COBOL/etc... I'm a .NET programmer, if I need to assign a variable I:

string s = "Hello";

not

Eval s = "Hello"

or whatever it is, not to mention I don't have to worry about what character position I put it at...(and I know PDM takes care of that, but it's still a pain to read!!!!) also there is all this lingo that you either know or don't know... I need a forum like this for the 400, a site like asp101.com for RPG... that's what I'm looking for.

Last edited:
ASP.NET FTP Deployment Tool (AND+FTP)

jccorner said:
Can someone help me here. I wish to "deploy" my ASP.Net app to my web host's server. Without actually having them install it, how do I accomplish this?? Appreciate the help.

This tool is very easy to use with a Visual Studio ASP.NET project (and inexpensive). This is a shameless plug, but... ;)

www.DotNetFTP.com

New thread title: Hosting?

(even though I am not part of the conversation)

Nothing wrong with a shameless plug! Is there such a thing as a plug with no shame?

Steve - where do you host your ASP.NET code? I am hunting for one myself. Need the ability to be a reseller also.
----

SteveSharrock said:
This tool is very easy to use with a Visual Studio ASP.NET project (and inexpensive). This is a shameless plug, but... ;)

www.DotNetFTP.com
:cool:

I use serverintellect.com - good prices, more importantly, good, not exported overseas, american service. Great for start-ups with the cheaper plans...they also do discounts for paying a year at a time.

jccorner said:
bri189a,

RPG programmers usually congregate in newsgroups. I've found that when I'm looking for something, I go here:

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=as400&start=0&scoring=d&hl=en&

I've been working on a forum similar to this one for AS400 people to look for help and support. If the groups are not much help then email me and I'll see what information you are looking for.

Let me know when that's done please...

Back