Migrating to ASP.Net from ASP 3.0?

brewster

Newcomer
I am finally set with some of the basics of programming ASP 3.0. I am not a programmer (originally just a web graphic designer) but after huge stuggles, I was able to grasp ASP 3.0 and further my career picking up alot of web jobs using ASP 3.0.

Last year, I took a VB.Net/ASP.Net course. Most of it went way over my head as I had never learned to program VB 6 even though VB.Net is far different.

The difference as I see it is VB.Net as code behind for ASP.Net is far more complex than VBScript with ASP 3.0.

I just didn't get any of the concepts of ASP.Net using VB.Net in terms of hooking up to a database.

My question is, to save my career, do I need to learn ASP.Net in terms of ASP classic going away eventually and more and more things being done with ASP.Net or will the two continue to co-exist.

A good book is by Mike Gunderloy. You can also find a lot of online resources.

I think code-behind is much better than scripting.

As for hooking up to the database, I do it in web.config and it's just a connection string.

You can always search on this forum also...
There's a lot of tutorial that are taking dust and waiting for someone to read them ;)

Continue to learn ! Hope you'll get paid better also ;) lol

Thanks, sounds good. I just need to make the time and go forward into uncharted territory like I did with ASP 3.0

What about any projections when ASP 3.0 will go away? Possibly that Longhorn server won't support ASP 3.0?? I know that's a few years away at any rate.

At a guess i would say ASP is going to be around for at least another 5 years or so - MS will support W2K till then and IIS that shipped with W2K supported it so it seems logical.
In practice W2003 supports ASP so it could be supported for nearly 10 years. No immediate rush ;)
Saying that ASP.Net is far superior to classic ASP and when you make the move you won't regret it.

Back