Maya Troubles

DXSDK SUMMER UPDATE EXTRAS

you need a little download called DXSDK SUMMER UPDATE EXTRAS

Microsoft SDK Extras

It is a self-extracting zip exe. Unzip it into a folder then you will find a maya folder for many different versions i.e.

\DXSDK EXTRAS\Direct3D\Plug-Ins\Maya version 4.0 and 5.0

I use Max 6 myself ... what I had to do was load the C++ source code then include the path to the MAX SDK and compile the project then copy the resulting plug-in file to the plug-in directory in MAX. I believe the process is the same for Maya.

QUOTE ....

======================
MAYA X-FILE EXPORTER
======================

Installation
------------

1] Make sure that Maya is not running
2] Copy "xExport.mll" to "<mayapathname>\bin\plug-ins"
3] Copy "xfileTranslatorOpts.mel" to "<mayapathname>\scripts\others"
4] Copy "bicubicBezierPatches.mel" to "<mayapathname>\scripts\others"
5] Run Maya
6] Select "Window->General Editors->Plug-in Manager" from the main menu bar
7] Turn on the "auto load" checkbox next to "xExport.mll"
8] Turn on the "loaded" checkbox next to "xExport.mll"

Usage
-----

1] Select "File->Export All" from the main menu bar
2] Select "XFile (*.*)" from the "File of type" drop-down menu
3] Select a file name from the browse window
4] Click the "Export" button
-OR-
Click the "Options..." button for further options (recommended)

;)

Hello World! :)

I am brand new to this forum, but I decided to write here due to my experience with the Maya to .x file converter program that you ( igotjunk ) suggested.

I tried the program before I read this thread and I tried to complete the installation steps. I have Maya 5.0 but that doesn't matter.

So the problem in three words:

"xExport.mll not included"

where is that file? i can't find it in the archive, and i tried to search for it (thats how i got here), but i still couldn't find it.

Without that simple file, there is now connection between the scripts (.mel files) and the Maya GUI.

Please somebody solve my problem, and please everybody excuse my English. :)

thanks for all.

... damn it ...

i 've found a file in an other release. now i've encountered an other problem:

i used the attached file.
i've done all the steps as shown in the readme.txt and, in the previous post i mentioned.

step 6 was different, i used (SPACE) --> window --> settings/preferencies --> plug-ins managger.

step 7 completed without any problem (when I restarted maya the checkbox was unchecked, so it resulted no error, but did'nt work.)

step 8:
8] Turn on the "loaded" checkbox next to "xExport.mll"

when i tried to turn on that checkbox "nothing happened" in the script editor i got the response:

loadPluginCallback "C:/Program Files/AliasWavefront/Maya5.0/bin/plug-ins/xExport.mll" "plug-in";
// Error: A megadott modul nem található.
//
// Error: No plug-ins loaded - "A megadott modul nem található.
". //
// Warning: Could not load C:/Program Files/AliasWavefront/Maya5.0/bin/plug-ins/xExport.mll as a plug-in //
// Result: 0 //

(note that: " A megadott modul nem található." means "THE MODUL CANNOT BE FOUND" in hungarian.

i would be very happy if someone could give me some advice.
:(

did you compile the plug-in yourself?

On another topic ... I have written a C# version of Multianimation and have succesfully exported mesh files and textures from Max 6 no problems. But I have not been able to get the animations to export as desired. I have been using Max for a long time and tried exporting the tutorial examples ( 6 different files ) and none of them worked properly either .... some did move, but not as they did in Max. Also similar results with the very good Panda exporter.

I can find no tutorial or documentation on how to make this work.

After posting at new.microsoft.com.programming.manageddirectx no-one answered and within a week the post eventually was deleated.

As you could imagine, having written a working animation controller and being able to make excellent models that are animated, missing that middle piece is REALLY frustrating.

:mad:

Has anyone had luck with Maya ..... Does anyone want to trade the code for a tutorial on how to make the animation export from Max?

:(

"did you compile the plug-in yourself?"

no, but I tried to compile it, with VS.Net2003.

it failed, because, as the article sad it only can be done with VS6.0

MSDN article Maya --> .x

i don't know C++, i don't have VS6.0, what can I do to make the convertion between .ma and .x running?

i can install an older version of maya (4.0 or 4.5) if it can solve the problem.

I am awaiting your advices, thanks.

p.s.: i have an intermediate level C# knowledge, if you have some code snipplets, that could help me. (igotjunk) thx, again.

COMPILED PLUG-IN

I found a compiled one for maya 5 ...

MAYA 5 X EXPOTER PLUG-IN

I haven't tried it myself, but should be cool, last updated 19 Janurary

I found this on the web the other day also .... it's the source cood to a managed directx book .... lots of good C# examples ... who knows maybe someone will even buy the book.
C# Code MSI installer

Back