Issue with web browser history

mike55

Contributor
Hi all

I have a number of pages, which are used to collect user information, when the user clicks on the continue button on the final page, then a subscription is created for them. The problem that I am encoutering is that the user can start pressing the browser back button, and navigate back to the start of the process, and then start clicking the forward button, which causes that entire application to fail when they reach the last page.

Any suggestions on how I can prevent this from happening, I know that I can screw with the browser buttons themselves.

mike55.

What kind of pages are these?

You could just save viewstate.

How much of a change are you looking for? Are you looking for a hack or a design change?

What about going back causes the app to fail?

Is it that the fields are empty? Saving viewstate would solve this. Also, put some validation on each form.

Is it a database constraint? Such as creating a record with same primary key. In that case, using a sequence field as the primary key would work.

If you really don't want the user to travel backwards, you can consolidate all of the pages into one, with one form, and use div's to hide and show each step.

Back