Is it possible to change the color of...

What is wrong with white? It is consitant with the OS.

Anyways, I don't know how to change the color of the date time picker. The BackColor property doesn't work. If you are only using it to pick the date and you are skinnig or just making an app w. your own color scheme, w/e, a solution that I found to this problem is to make a label or your own control that has the appearence you want, and when the user clicks it, show a previously hidden MonthCalendar control with your preferred colors.

This has many drawbacks, however. The user can not edit the date in the collapsed view (unless you program this functionality), and the popup month selector must be contained within the bounds of the control.

So sorry

EFileTahi-A said:
what is wrong wanting to change the controls back color?

Hey pal I was just giving a recommendation, and for that matter trying to help. A lot of people hate when you override their color preferences.

marble_eater said:
Hey pal I was just giving a recommendation, and for that matter trying to help.

I Thank you "pal" for your both recommendation and help.

A lot of people hate when you override their color preferences.

Honestly, I never knew anyone who would be upset for having some software with controls that would not be in its predefined color, unless we are talking color combinations like "hot red" windows, "yeallow" text and "shock-pink" text-boxes. Also, it's normal to have customized skins and interfaces in nowadays that's why almost every control in .NET have the option of changing the background, foreground (...) colors.

A person having a problem with the backcolor of some DateTimePicker background in some program will easly hate even more programs with customized skins IMHO... A person with problems to say the least...

People want programs that perform their job well, free of bugs, that's what sells at my company. Never had the suggestion from any client saying: "I like your software, but I would prefer the text boxes in white" or "Is it possible to change the backcolor of the program controls?"...

The reason you did not liked my "counter-question" was the same reason I did not liked yours, as I think it was truly useless. If I want to change the controls pre-defined "white" color its because the same "white" color does not fits my needs, so why suggesting the same old color you knew I was refusing from the beggining? Because windows loves to have controls white? Because you would not change its color? Luckly, I do like to be original and creative...

Last edited:
The problem with changing a control's back colour is that if you do not consider my windows settings you could render your control un-usable. Imagine if you had decided on a blue background; what if I have decided on blue text - your control would render blue text on a blue background. The only solution would be to take control of all colours used in the application. This may work for you but consider people with impaired vision who have selected a high contrast scheme which enables them to see text properly, you are now providing a design that may be totally un-usable by these people.
As to your argument of
because the same "white" color does not fits my needs
- to be honest I personally couldn't give a toss about the developers 'needs'; as a user of a piece of software I want it to fit my needs and I take a very dim view of software that igores / overrides my settings.

PlausiblyDamp said:
The problem with changing a control's back colour is that if you do not consider my windows settings you could render your control un-usable. Imagine if you had decided on a blue background; what if I have decided on blue text - your control would render blue text on a blue background. The only solution would be to take control of all colours used in the application. This may work for you but consider people with impaired vision who have selected a high contrast scheme which enables them to see text properly, you are now providing a design that may be totally un-usable by these people.
As to your argument of - to be honest I personally couldn't give a toss about the developers 'needs'; as a user of a piece of software I want it to fit my needs and I take a very dim view of software that igores / overrides my settings.

Yeah, I agree with you unless the person who's making this backcolor changes knows what he/her is doing... Fortunately am applying a pre-defined systemColors "Control" color to the DateTime control backcolor to make it look like "disable" under certain conditions, overriding thus, all possible problems you described above... Yet, I have functions that check all pre-defined colors in order to counter (again) the issues you have described in case I use my own colors...

PS: What you have said was nothing new to me but tks anyway...

EFile_Torpedo.jpg

Last edited:
Back