Installing exe to multiple machines

jccorner

Centurion
Maybe this has been asked before, but I was unable to find using the search.

We created an application and installed onto twenty pcs. We make changes to the program about every two weeks. So that means every two weeks, we have to put the exe in the public directory and copy and paste the new exe onto every pc individually. I'm hoping to see how others have solved this issue. We were thinking about using a windows schedular to copy and paste the executable every time someone logged into the network, but don't have much experience in this department. Thank you for your suggestions.

SonicBoomAu

Centurion
Couldn't you have the user desktop shortcut pointing to the network. That way all you have to do is update the one exe.

You would still need to install the original application to the computer and just change the shortcut.

Hope this gives you some food for thought.

jccorner

Centurion
But wouldn't that consist of including all the dlls and wouldn't the framework have to be installed on the network as well?? Thanks for the reply.

snarfblam

Ultimate Contributor
The framework would have to be installed on the computer running the EXE, not on the network. The dlls could probably be installed on the network.

I believe, however, that if you run a .Net app over a network the framework restricts the security (file i/o, registry, etc.).

SonicBoomAu

Centurion
I could be wrong, and I sure someone here will point it out if this is the case. But if you install the program firstly onto the computer and change the shortcut to the exe (network). Then you don't need to install the framework / dll's on the network.

Marble Eater explains it better than I did.

Last edited:

penfold69

Centurion
I've actually written my own self-updater program.

It's basically a very small program that queries an XML file on a web server for the "current" version of the program, and if it is newer than the currently installed version, will download the updated files and install them, before executing the newly updated file.

Its not a trivial undertaking, but it's not rocket science!

B.

jccorner

Centurion
penfold69 said:
I've actually written my own self-updater program.

It's basically a very small program that queries an XML file on a web server for the "current" version of the program, and if it is newer than the currently installed version, will download the updated files and install them, before executing the newly updated file.

Its not a trivial undertaking, but it's not rocket science!

B.

penfold,

do you manually update the xml file or is it done automatically?? Sounds like an interesting proposition. Only problem I can see with that angle is that if someone is already in the program they won't get the update until the log off other than for checking the date of the xml file every time the user starts the app. Appreciate the replies. Everyone was alot of help.

jccorner

Centurion
Question, if I choose to run the app from the server, do I have to run the install on the server itself?? Thank you for the help once again.

mskeel

Senior Contributor
I recommend you install the software on the individual computers and then use an auto updater component such as the .Net updater component or the Sharp AutoUpdater. These components will take care of the XML file, restarting your program after the update and a variety of other things from security concerns, to install on demand in some cases. Plus, you won't run the risk of inevitable security violations, as marble_eater alluded to, and potential registry/config issues (if you are using the registry for example). If the components don't fit your specific needs, they are both open source, so you should be able to figure something out. There is also some good information about the philosophy behind automatic updates on the first site I linked to.

Top Bottom