Install on top of previous install without uninstalling

michelek

Newcomer
Is there anyway for the .net setup to install on top of the previous installation without uninstalling the previous install first? If so, how can I do this. Also, if it turns out that it's possible how would I be able to detect that I'm installing on top of a previous installation and it's not the 1st install?

Thanks

michelek said:
Is there anyway for the .net setup to install on top of the previous installation without uninstalling the previous install first? If so, how can I do this. Also, if it turns out that it's possible how would I be able to detect that I'm installing on top of a previous installation and it's not the 1st install?

Thanks
You can set it on the deployment project properties. There's an option for installation mechanism regarding previous installation.

Regarding detection, I'd suggest checking the version :D

When I set the "RemovePreviousVersions" property to true I still get the options to remove or repair the installation if you click on the setup twice. I don't that dialog box to show when you install it twice.

Hmmm ...

Well, I haven't tried anything super to handle these kind of things. But ... maybe you could try to edit the user interface for the installation. It's on the User Interface Editor of the deployment project. Maybe you can get what you want by removing the "Start" section and set the installation to go directly to "Progress".

Be very careful though, I can't even predict the outcome.

~risky?
~indeed :)

Back