I'm in desperate need of help - Form designer gives me an error!

EFileTahi-A

Contributor
All my project form's can not longer be shown.

I get the following:

"One or more errors encountered while loading the designer. The errors are listed below. Some errors can be fixed by rebuilding your project, while others may require code changes."

at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.Win32Error(Int32 errorCode, String str)
at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.GetValueNames()
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Design.WindowPaneProviderService.AppendWindowPanes(RegistryKey parentKey, ArrayList windowPanes)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Design.WindowPaneProviderService.GetRegisteredPanes(String extension)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Design.WindowPaneProviderService.CreateWindowPane(DesignSurface surface)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.DeferrableWindowPaneProviderService.CreateWindowPane(DesignSurface surface)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.DeferrableWindowPaneProviderService.DeferredWindowPane.EnsurePane()

I've tryed to rebuild the solution with no success...

Please help me on this one! My work is alted!!!

I have seen this mentioned in a few places - one fix suggests turning off indexing for your project's folder (not a clue why this would fix the problem but some claim it does).

Another suggestion is a corrupt resx file for a given form - using the resgen.exe you can convert the .resx to a .resources file and remove the existing.resx then try to open the form in the designer again, if it opens close it down and use resgen.exe again to convert the .resources back to a .resx file...

If nothing's changed, then I can't be much help. But if you've recently put code in a Form_Load event of a base form, that code will run when opening a form in the designer.

I've found that most of the details in the resx aren't really useful and can safely be deleted. I use some 3rd party controls that LOVE to put data in the resx. As a test, you could try trimming that file just to see if it helps - then piecemeal it back in if that fixed it. That's in addition to PD's suggestion about the resx.

You could also start looking in the InitializeComponent method created by the designer. Start commenting out code to see if there's something in there that's causing an issue.

-ners

Well... I've try the index thing and reinstalling VS 2005, but the problem was still there...

The funny thing is that all my projects become all with the same error message when trying to opening any form.

I formated the computer and reinstalled everything, the problem got fixed this way. The very same projects begun to work with no problem, just like that.

Thank you anyway for the posts m8s. Glad to know there is still someone taking care of the forum :).

Take care!

Back