IIS App Windows Auth and Login Box

HardCode

Freshman
Using Windows Authentication in VB with ADO to SQL Server means that as long as the user is logged in to the PC on the domain, they can access the SQL Server without supplying another login name and password.

While a different platform, I am trying to use Windows Authentication for the IIS App. My web.config is all set properly. On my local PC install of IIS, I can access the application in IE without having to supply a user name and password. However, when I move the app to the IIS Server on our LAN, I get the pop-up login box when trying to access the app. I can log in and access the app, but this defeats the intent of using Windows Auth doesn't it? Why would I not get the login popup on my local PC but I do get it on the server on the LAN?

Depends. Are you accessing the Web application from a domain account? If not, you'll need to. If you are, make sure that domain account has access granted to it on the database server. Also make sure that Internet Explorer (which I assume you're using) has "Enable Integrated Windows Authentication" checked (Tools | Internet Options... | Advanced).

Derek Stone said:
... make sure that domain account has access granted to it on the database server ...

Do you mean make the users' domain accounts also local user accounts on the server machine?

Back