Howdo I 'upload' a project correctly? :( ?

trend

Centurion
I have ftp access to the webserver of my dreams.. but I am trying to integrate my asp.net project with a webserver that has a lot of frontpage webpages (so they use _vti_cnf, _vti_pvt, _vti_script, _vti_txt folders already on the server)

The issue is:

I copy over everything in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\WebApplication1\ and overwrite everything at /webserverroot

This messes up frontpage (mainly the navigation bar that frontpage makes on the fly with frontpage)

So my question is.. how am I suppose to upload my asp.net application?

thanks!
Lee

Well.. I am not sure what messed up the frontpages.. but I just manually uploaded the asp.net files one by one and it all worked :/

wierd stuff

jspencer said:
Try using the 'Project' - 'Copy project' option. This works sweetly with frontpage extensions.

I have to agree, manually copying your developement folder is a bad idea as you're also including files that shouldn't be on the webserver, plus manual copying, if you're not carefull, can make you accidentally push a "debug" version of your app which will hurt performance and possibly cause security problems.

I suggest you empty the directory on the webserver, and use the Project -> Copy Project method.

Back