How to start-stop-continue a function?

cloud

Newcomer
Hi...
I'm a newbie in VB.NET...
I wanna know is there a way to make the function running pause for a few seconds before re-run itself in a for loop such as below:

Function con(ByVal bufferstring As String) As String
Dim i As Integer
Dim temp As String
For i = 0 To bufferstring.Length - 1
temp &= vbCrLf & bufferstring.Chars(i)
Next
End Function

The function above will print characters by characters from the variable "temp". However, it print all in one go. Is there a code to make it print 1 character then wait for 5 seconds before printing the 2nd character and so on...
I tried using System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(5000) but it'll just hang there for 5 seconds and then in 1 go, print out all my characters which is not the outcome I want.
Anyone got ideas how to do it?
Please advice. Thank you..:)

Guys..
I got one more question...
What if I put the function to sleep already but then I wanna continue that function later..
To make it more simple, I have a for loop function to print numbers from 1 to 10. However, when the loop prints until 5, I want to make the function sleep. Then with a click of a button on the same form, the functions continue to print from 6 to 10 instead of rerunning the whole process.
Any ways???

To match the example you requested

declare a private variable to hold the maximum number you reached

Private NumReached as Integer = 0

Private Function PrintNumbers(MaxNum as Integer) as String
Dim i as integer
Dim temp as String = ""
'Loop from where you reached to MaxNum
For i = NumReached to MaxNum
Temp = Temp & i & " "
Next

'Set the NumReached to the new value reached
NumReached = MaxNum

Return Temp
End Function

Each time you click the button pass the MaxNum as you want

Hope this is clear...

Could you post your findings, that way those who do a search in the future can have their same question answered. :)

To the subject at hand.. I believe you can do Thread.Suspend() which stops the thread, then do Thread.Resume() to continue execution.

Yeap, wyrd..
the thread thing solves the problem..
Anyway, how do I post my findings?
I'm newbie..Still trying to figure out my way in here..:)

Just explain briefly how you solved the problem and provide a small code snippet (if possible). If what I explained was what you did then don't worry about it. :)

You don't have to if you don't want to, it's just a courtesy to whoever may have the same problem in the future (as a search on the forums would provide an answer rather then them having to make a post and wait for a reply)

Back